07 February 2014

Sepia Saturday - Feb 8


Sepia Saturday

I'm posting at Sepia Saturday today. This week's challenge:


214 :  A piano and a picture within a picture


Christmas early 1970s - Montreal 

I searched for this photo and when I couldn't find it I posted the photo below of my cousin/accordion. 

Then I was reading Tocklebear's post where he mentioned having a Magnus electric chord organ which is EXACTLY the same organ that my sister is standing beside in this photo!! Her Christmas present.
So I went and searched harder and found this picture.

And that is one ugly picture over it, I have no recollection of it whatsoever.



July 1972 - Dublin Ireland

I also found this photo of a McGuinness cousin in Ireland playing an accordion.



10 comments:

  1. Not a fan of accordion music, but the coordination to squeeze and finger in different directions has always fascinated me. I think I would have been with that lady on the couch having my own little bourbon on the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not necessarily a fan of the accordion either, but sometimes, when it's combined with other instruments, it can sound rather awesome - such as with the musicians playing for "Riverdance"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like polka music played on the accordion because it sounds so lively and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! Your search paid off, but I have to agree, that ‘picture within a picture’ is not so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way that memories bounce around between us Sepia Saturday participants. It makes reading the various posts so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remembered the Magnus Organ too, but I never got one for Christmas. It predates synthesizers and is really an accordion with an electric fan to blow air through the reeds. The accordion is a much more musical instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, a bookcase with maybe an encyclopedia, as well as musical instruments...a family which had the right tools for young people to become properly educated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tiny little organ that is - I've never seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see mine was larger, and with legs.
    My parents also got me the bench because I remember my cousin sitting next to me,
    our hands merging on the keyboard as she taught me that song, Liebestraum.
    I used to dance Polka...
    Those were the days!!!
    That book shelf looks familiar. Rosewood, isn't it?!?
    I remember one of the series of encyclopedias was by Grolier, right?!?

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Monday Oct 19 Budapest

  Itinerary REVISED Oct 12 -13 Toronto - Paris - Vienna Oct 13 - Vienna Oct 14 - Vienna Oct 15 - Vienna Oct 16 - Vienna to Budapest by train...