Saturday, May 26, 2018

Beer Money

May 2018 - Bloor St. West Toronto



Saturday

A rainy day, lazy day, up at 6 am to watch the Royal Wedding, even though we had recorded it.
Lovely to see the Canadian Mulroney twins grinning as they carried her veil.





John got up just as they were leaving the chapel so I watched it over again with him as we ate a full English breakfast.



I made a an ice cream loosely based on this recipe. I wanted a lemon ice cream but had a couple of tangerines almost passed their sell-by date so I threw them in as well. It was good.

John has been complaining that we didn't have anything sweet for afternoon tea so I made this very delicious keeper recipe for coconut flour lemon pound cake, light and fluffy, but uses five eggs!!

Dinner was DIY pizza.


Sunday

Past Meets Present Yonge and Bloor 
Inspired Sunday in Kensington Market 


My repotted plant pot from last week somehow cracked so I had to repot and clean up the dirt on the balcony.
,
Dinner was from My Recipe Boxteriyaki orange lamb chops with a potato cauliflower cheese casserole.


Monday

Wordless and Monday Mural on Bloor St. W last week.
Foto Tunes is a slice in Kensington Market last week as well.


During her lifetime, Queen Victoria’s birthday celebration always occurred on May 24th regardless of what day of the week it fell. That all changed in 1952 when an amendment to the Statutes of Canada permanently set the day as the Monday immediately before May 24th which officially made it a long weekend for Canadians.


For many Canadians today, Victoria Day is better known as the May long weekend, and marks the unofficial start to the spring/summer season. It is the first weekend many people visit their cabins, plant their gardens or just get away.

Finally a sunny day so we visited Centennial Conservatory. 



Centennial Park is one of Toronto's busiest parks. Located at the northwest corner of Toronto, this park is home to the Etobicoke Olympium, Centennial Park Ski hill and Chalet, Centennial Arena, Centennial Park Conservatory, Centennial Park Stadium and a new BMX bike park. The park also has a number of playgrounds, sport fields, baseball and softball diamonds, driving range and golf course, picnic areas and a wading pool. Centennial was opened in 1967 to celebrate Canada's 100th birthday. The land the park now occupies was once a dairy farm. A large portion of this farm was purchased by the City of Toronto to create the park. The ski hill now sits atop what was once a municipal dump.

Easily accessible by public transit.



The Centennial Park Conservatory complex was designed and constructed in 1969 and was formally opened by Etobicoke Mayor Horton on March 21, 1970. It consisted of a large tropical house and two smaller wing houses originally used for plant production. Over time, the wing houses became an arid house and a seasonal display house.









Dinner was colcannon, hamburger patties and home made onion gravy.

Tuesday

Tuesday Treasures looks at the Toronto postal buildings.

A grey rainy foggy day but we decided to go to lunch since from the bus we could practically stay indoors most of the way.

We headed back to the food court I had been to last week.

A Weekend Reflection from the terrace of the building.

I wanted to go to the Raw Bar.






John went for the carne asada tacos that we had last week which I hadn't taken a photo of.




My spicy avocado tuna bowl over warm rice.


Not as pretty a view in the rain.


John said he would try this place the next time.
There are always four bases to choose from: rice, potatoes, veggies or pasta. From there you select a protein of veggies ($9), pork ($10), fish ($12), chicken or beef ($11) and can add sides for $1.50.


Looking uptown towards the financial district with the Air Canada Centre on bottom right. All these buildings are connected either by tunnel or underground so you can get from Harbourfront to the Eaton Centre without going outside.


Dinner was leftovers.

Wednesday

I headed out at 10:30 to find some of the CONTACT Photography exhibits.

Brookfield Place


"Is that a Dale Chihuly?" I wonder about the blown-glass sculpture near the entrance. Actually, the piece is by Jeff Burnett.


FCP First Canadian Place


Stop for lunch at the Assembly Hall where I've eaten twice before.


They've opened a huge patio and that Airstream is a bar.


My choice for today.


Crispy Peking glazed comfit duck wings with cucumber scallion salad and duck pancakes. It was quite good, the wings are dark meat and much bigger than a chicken wing.
I like the use of old-fashioned china plates.




I then headed to City Hall, but never found their exhibit Spanning the Don which was supposed to be in their windows. Note to self - it will be there only on May 26 and 27.

But better yet, there was a display of original costumes from notable film and television productions created by members of CAFTCAD (Canadian Alliance of Film & Television Costume Arts & Design).

Click here to see all the exhibits.





I popped into the library and looked at a gluten free bread maker recipe book. Which made me realize I should check if they had any gluten free e-cookbooks, yes they do.

On up Bay and saw this sculpture for the first time.
Larry Sefton Memorial, donated by the United Steelworkers of America and dedicated to a longtime steelworkers’ union leader who passed away in 1973. Sefton spent 20 years in the steelworkers’ union and was a much-liked and respected figure. Prior to his time with the steelworkers, Sefton had figured prominently in a miners’ strike in northern Ontario.

Designed by Jerome Markson and installed in 1977, the memorial presents an arrangement of 16 vertical steel I-beams, arrayed on an upwards slope. The close spacing of the beams symbolizes workers’ unity and solidarity.



In the centre of Dundas Square these NYC taxis were being jealously guarded by several security guards. I'm guessing to be used on a movie set.


From here I headed back, by subway, to Union where we were entertained.


Thursday

Thursday Doors takes us along the Mink Mile in Toronto.

We drove to Cornwall to visit an elderly aunt of John's. We left at 9 and got back home around 9.




We left at 11 and headed back to Lansdowne, I had been there last week  and couldn't find what I was looking for.
Click here for a long walk along Bloor West, about 13.5 steps.


Very cool mural John spotted down a lane.


Sterling Road is an area once known for manufacturing bicycles, flags, and fire hydrants is shedding its industrial skin to take on a different persona: the neighbourhood for art – contemporary art. 

In the midst of construction the waft of chocolate will sneak up on you from the Nestle.



It’s one of the oldest confectionery factories in Canada operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to produce Nestle’s core four candies: Smarties, Coffee Crisp, Aero and the most popular, Kit Kat.



These ghost signs for condiments refer to the T.A. Lytle company that opened in this building in 1908.









Lunch - the place we had chosen was closed due to a fire in March so we settled on Duffy Diner. It's where the arrow is pointing and has been around since 1949.


We both opted for omelets.



This section is still dotted with these local corner stores.


The area is so diverse that you never know what you will happen upon.



We stopped into Town, a great paper and gift shop and treated ourselves.
John, a TO t-shirt:


And a Frida mug for me!




We got the subway at Bathurst to Union and were happy to put our feet up when we got home.

We had steak for dinner.

BOOKS

May 2018 - Sterling Rd

Adult Onset by Canadian Ann-Marie MacDonald is about a lesbian stay at home mom bored by the tedium of minding their two little children, repeating the same chores day after day. It is told in a breathless fashion as she also struggles with her family and abandoned career. Great read with a tour of Toronto thrown in as she cycles around on chores. Really enjoyed it.

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb, whom I always enjoy, is riveting as the story is weaved around the Columbine tragedy.

SHARING WITH:



Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.
Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy.
Sundays in my City

Seasons
Monday Walks
Monday Morning Blog Club
Through My Lens Monday
Our World Tuesday
Wanderful Wednesday #wanderfulwednesday


12 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a busy week...enjoyed it all with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great potpourri of images, from the Royal Wedding to bookshops and lovely food. Thanks for sharing, and here are MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOTS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Centennial Park, but it looks like a lovely area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...you sure pack a lot into a week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also so much to see and comment on! I love your recaps. Fantastic shots of the conservatory -- Wow! I've bookmarked the ice cream recipe; I like how they show it served in the orange peels. Cool. You had some mighty fine eating this week too.

    I got up early for the wedding -- I should have thought to record it. I was up at 4:30am! This weekend is our official start of summer (long Memorial Day weekend), and we finally got our deck in shape.

    I haven't read that Wally Lamb yet, but I usually really like him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful week of delicious food, art, and adventure, thanks Jackie. I like the Larry Sefton Memorial. A very moving piece. Now that I've seen your photos of the Royal Wedding, I'm curious to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like stream of consciousness reading one of your posts, Jackie. :) :) Many thanks to you! Glad you had a good Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always a super interesting post, Jackie! The supposed Chiculy - I would have made the same mistake! And somehow keep looking at the sculpture of the steelworkers. The spacing has something that intrigues me! Many thanks from All Seasons! Hope you'll have a sunny week:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The conservatory trip looks like fun! I love all the foods you highlighted. Didn't watch the royal wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a beautiful wedding wasn't it? I really enjoyed it

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have so many wonderful photos, I don't know which to mention first, but you had me at "Beer and Fresh Bread" and I am most intrigued about Anansi Press. So many authors for a small publisher...I had to look it up. I'm so glad I can google everything now, but still wonder how I could have missed the existence of the publishing company.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed those cute little boys at the wedding! I didn't know who they were. Their reactions were priceless! :-)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.