Saturday, April 19, 2014

Song-ography Sound of Silence




Here's a new fun meme to join! You'll Shoot Your Eye Out rules are:

1.  Would be kinda cool if you would link back to my blog somewhere...ANYWHERE
2.  Would be kinda cool if you "followed" me.  Not to the bathroom or anything creepy...just here in blog-land.
3.  Please link up using your permalink URL.
4.  Photos MAY or MAY NOT be recently taken.  Heck, sometimes you might see a song title and think "I ALREADY have an amaaaaaaazing photograph for that song title!"  No reason you shouldn't use it.  Amazing is amazing regardless of when it's taken, right?
5.  Would be kinda cool if you'd visit some of the other participants and leave a kind word or two.  I'm from Philly, and you KNOW we have a rep for being the kindest and friendliest peeps in the world :)
6.  You may have one photo,  or drop a photo bomb of photos in your link up post.  Just please make sure your photo(s) are an interpretation of the song title for the week. 
7.  Link-up will be available beginning Sunday mornings.
8.  Tell lots, and LOTS of your blogging friends so I don't feel like I'm sitting at the school lunch table all by myself on Sunday morning.  I don't want to be a "Lonesome Loser" and have to post a photo about it.Got it?  Sunday, link up, song titles, photographs that are interpretations, a mash up I'm calling Song-ography, be there...YO.




This was the first album I bought with my own (birthday) money in 1966.

September 2013 - Manhattan NY

I went through a lot of photos before I could think of something that made me think of silence and what this song speaks about. 
9/11 Memorial

 "The Sound Of Silence"

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.



In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence.


And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.

"Fools," said I, "You do not know –
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you.
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence


And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made.
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming.
And the sign said, The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sound of silence.

8 comments:

  1. An appropriate song for that place, I think.

    That last shot just reinforces how big the base of these towers were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits on CD in the car. It is played all the time. In fact I have requested one of the songs to be played at my funeral as the lyrics mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jackie, these are so touching and so perfect for this song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful moving post... the images (and this place) do seem to fit the words of this song very well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! On my first visit to the memorial it was a silencing experience, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Jackie
    We will be visiting the 9/11 Memorial this week - you have chosen a perfect combination of song and photos, I will think of you when we're there!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to be so late in visiting. But boy, oh boy....what a spot on perfect series of photos to accompany the lyrics from "Sounds of Silence". And I totally agree with you how this spot evokes and reflects silence on so many different levels. Thank you for joining in at Song-ograhy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very touching. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.