Monday, February 15, 2021

Tuesday Treasures

 Tom the backroads traveller hosts this weekly meme.


February 2021 - Toronto ON

Dapper Lane at 66 Wellesley E. - The intersection of Church and Wellesley is a hub for barbers whose skills are well known throughout the city. For decades barbers have practiced their trade here, ensuring decades of loyal customers. What better way to recognize their talent and dedication than with a lane named in their honour.




Sky Gilbert Lane
Sky Gilbert is the founder of the Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. He created what is now the largest queer theatre company in the world. For over twenty years 12 Alexander Street has been its home. The naming of this lane honours Sky's contribution to the community and to Canadian Theatre.
Murals in the lane behind the  Buddies Theatre. 


Luscombe Lane note the Pride colours on the sign.


Outside the Bad Buddies Theatre is a plaque to Luscombe. Photos below taken summer 2018.














9 comments:

  1. I think the buddies are still in worse times with the covid crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting to learn the reason behind the names. We have a "Land of Green Ginger" street in the city where I grew up. There are several versions of the reason behind the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...first off I love your new header image! With Covid, I'm shaggier than normal, my barber has the virus. Bad Buddies Theatre is a clever name and something that has been in closet for years. Thanks Jackie for stopping by, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your series makes me feel as though I'm beginning to learn about Toronto.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/02/cedar-creek-galleries-not-your-average.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toronto reminds me of an old movie I saw as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post telling us about the names of lanes! I really enjoy reading them and learning about your town.

    It's great to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your header is gorgeous Jackie - I hope you are keeping warm! Even in Melbourne I always think it is funny how all the hairdressers seem to congregate in the same area I like the name Dapper Lane!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.