Friday, October 17, 2014

Sepia Saturday


Sepia Saturday

Today's theme is:

This week’s prompt picture comes from the Powerhouse Collection via Fickr Commons, titled ‘A Man And His Shoe Repair Stall’ and dated 1930. It’s a hand-painted lantern slide but there is no other information given. You can let your imagination run free with your responses to this one. Street traders, roadside artisans, menders, cobblers, tools-of-the-trade, hand-colouring and lantern slides - or you could celebrate Sepia Saturday’s 250th Edition with a party!


I'm going with a party!! And what's better than cake!


Karen, Brian and David Swift, maternal cousins in their summer attire. This is taken at our house in Montreal for either my sister's or my birthday as we are both summer babies. The year? Probably around 1965.


Brian is my only cousin that no one has any idea where he is today. He disappeared in the 1990s leaving a wife and daughter for parts unknown. There is much speculation as to where he went and why but nothing definitive. Family members suggested Vancouver BC, I googled thename and did find several Brian Swifts in BC but no photos.



9 comments:

  1. You know, they remind me of my cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't get much better than kids eating cake! They don't worry about the contents or the calories - they just dig in & enjoy with no thought but to the taste. Would that we could all afford to be children again when it comes to eating cake! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoopee!! Happy #250 to all the Sepians. I had some relatives in Canada who disappeared too....but much earlier than this. I think they took advantage of war (some during the first and another during the second) to walk away from horrible marriages. Or rather escape their responsibilities. One of them popped back up years later when he died and left my father (the family lawyer) a post-humous "confession". I'm guessing he changed his name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eyes right! Wonderful shot but sad about Brian disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess Brian wanted to get away since he's never made an appearance to date...perhaps your story will "flush him out". He looks sad in this photo -or is that my imagination?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They certainly look like they are enjoying it! There is no way that we would have been allowed to eat sitting on the couch though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you had asked me to guess which of these cute faces belonged to someone who would disappear and create a family mystery, I couldn't have.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.