14 July 2026

31 Days in Canada

 In honour of CANADA DAY  I plan to post a daily image of Canada and a link to a random Canadian location we have visited.



Royally Named: The lake is named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria.

Indigenous Roots: Before its royal moniker, Stoney First Nations people called it Ho-Run-Num-Nay (Lake of Little Fishes).

High Altitude Living: At 1,600 meters (5,249 feet) above sea level, Lake Louise Village is Canada's highest permanent community.

Strict Residency: To live in Lake Louise, you must either own a business in the area or work there.

Hollywood of the North: Its breathtaking backdrop is widely considered one of the most photographed places in the world.

Frigid Waters: The glacial waters rarely rise above 5°C (41°F), making it entirely too cold for regular swimming.

Bear Country: The area has one of the highest concentrations of grizzly bears to humans in North America, with sightings happening frequently during the summer months.

Manually "Painted": In 1915, the lake bottom was drained and artificially painted with non-toxic blue coloring to enhance the brilliant shade of the water.







3 comments:

  1. I love Lake Louise and Banff! When I first moved to Alberta 30 years ago, it was easy to pop in to both during the summer for a visit. Now it's impossible to even get near them -- SO MANY TOURISTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love it there too. Haven't been there is many years but what a beautiful place. Being from the US I didn't know those things about Canada.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

MAY RECAP

 MAY 2026 Coffee Date Huong Mai Coffee Rosier Coffee Gradient Somewhere Espresso   TRAVEL Toronto to Charlottetown PEI (return) 1,654 miles ...