Monday, May 23, 2022

My Recipe Box - Black Bean Avocado Brownies

June 2013 - Toronto ON
Updated September 2021
Updated May 2022


I found this recipe at the I Really Like Food blog. I was a little skeptical as I really don't care for beans but I had some avocado that needed using up. They were DELICIOUS!! Honestly you would never know what was in them.
I have been making these long before we became a gluten-free kitchen!

This recipe gets updates as I find new additions.




Recipe and image source


  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained 398 gram can works
  • 1 egg plus 2 egg whites 1 tbls liquid egg white = 1 egg white OR use 1/4 cup applesauce = 2 egg whites OR 6 tablespoons aquafaba (juice drained from the black bean can) = 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 of a large ripe avocado 50 grams
  • 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
  • 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute of choice I use a little less
  • 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
  • chili or cayenne OPTIONAL
Make a caramel whisky sauce



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8×8 inch baking pan or 9 inch round.
Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process or puree until ingredients form a smooth batter. Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips, nuts, or swirl in peanut butter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack.
Cool pan completely on wire rack then cut into 16 squares.

NOTE sometimes I like peanut butter and chocolate chips. In that case swirl in peanut butter THEN sprinkle chocolate chips.
Tahini is also a good swirl addition.
Sea salt can be sprinkled on top.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this...having just used my last can of black beans, I need to have more on hand...plus an avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've ate black bean brownie, but I don't think it had avocado in it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.