March 2021 - Toronto ON
I'm always looking for alternatives to potatoes and rice. I love egg noodles but they aren't gluten free. We've been using rice or vermicelli noodles in pho soup for some time. We also used them in the virtual cooking class we took we took last month. They were in the spring rolls.
I came across this recipe in Toronto Life from the restaurant Uncle Mikey's which he calls Starving Artist Noodles; it’s still on the takeout menu, even as Uncle Mikey’s has pivoted to become a bottle shop.
Note: Gochugaru can be found at PAT, Galleria and H-Mart, but any crushed and dried chili peppers can be substituted.
I used gochujang.
Gochujang or red chili paste is a savory, sweet, and spicy fermented condiment, popular in Korean cooking. It is made from chili powder, glutinous rice, meju (fermented soybean) powder, and salt.
Makes three full or five snack portions:
400g fresh egg noodles I use gluten free rice noodles
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp ginger, finely minced
1 scallion stalk, finely chopped
1 tsp coarse gochugaru chili pepper I used gochujang
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup water
malt vinegar (optional) rice vinegar as malt vinegar is not GF
1. In a small saucepan, heat the canola oil until smoking hot.
2. In a heatproof bowl, pour the hot oil over the ginger and scallions to bring out the aroma. Return saucepan to heat and set bowl aside.
3. Add sesame seeds to the saucepan and stir every few seconds until aromatic and lightly browned.
4. Transfer seeds to the bowl with the ginger and scallions. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Stir until smooth.
5. Meanwhile, cook the noodles per package instructions and drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of cooking water. Rice noodle method
6. Return noodles to the pot. Add sauce until the consistency is similar to alfredo pasta, adding some cooking water if necessary.
7. Garnish with more scallions and sesame seeds, and finish with a splash of
Other recipes I have tried
Spicy Thai curried peanut noodles did not like