Sunday, May 24, 2015

My Recipe Box - Cinnamon Buns




I made these today for the first time. Well, I prepped them last night, made the icing and the filling. 
I also mixed the dry ingredients for the dough and put two eggs inside the bowl to be cracked first thing in the morning. All I would have to do in the morning was crack the eggs, add the butter and mix.

In my sleepy state and anxiousness to get them ready I turned on the mixer with the eggs (uncracked). This meant I had to start over!! As the shells were pretty well incorporated into the mixture.

I found this recipe at Jo Cooks. Photos are mine.


CINNABONS CINNAMON ROLLS



PREP TIME
20 mins
COOK TIME
20 mins - mine took closer to 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME
40 mins - this time doesn't include the two resting periods of 1 hour and another 30 minutes.


Serves: 12 mine made exactly twelve
INGREDIENTS

Dough
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast - this is 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 cup warm milk
½ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup margarine (I used butter)
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour

Filling
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
⅓ cup margarine, softened

Cream cheese icing
6 tbsp margarine (I used butter)
1½ cups powdered sugar
¼ cup cream cheese
½ tsp vanilla
⅛ tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS
For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour to the bowl of a mixer and mix well.
Pour the milk/yeast mixture in the bowl and using the dough hook, mix well until well incorporated.
Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 16 inches long by 12 inches wide.
It should be approx ¼ inch thick.
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
To make filling, combine the butter, brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon in a bowl.
Spread the mixture evenly over the surface of the dough. Alternatively you can spread the butter first on the dough and then the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge. My roll ended up being 18 inches in length, allowing me to cut each roll so that it's 1½ inches in height.
Cut the dough into 1½ inch slices, and place in a lightly greased baking pan. You might find it easier if you use a piece of floss vs a knife. Place them in a baking pan, I used a 9x13 inches and cover them with a damp towel. Let them rise again for another 30 minutes until they double in size.
Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cooking time can vary greatly!
While the rolls are baking make the icing by mixing all ingredients and beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing.

2 comments:

  1. I love the taste of them, always have. If you ever get up to cottage country, there's a bakery in Lake of Bays called Henrietta's that makes, among many other things, sticky buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting to be baking weather here in New Zealand and cinnamon rolls are among my favorite. Thanks for the recipe. And @William Kendall, I have made sticky buns and they never last long enough to save for later!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.