Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sepia Saturday



Sepia Saturday

Challenge and image source from Sepia Saturday.




When I first chose the theme image for Sepia Saturday 179, I thought to myself, "we've  never had birds, beasts and reptiles" before; but of course I was wrong. A quick check of the list kept by Marilyn and available on the Sepia Saturday Facebook page, and I discover that we've had tortoises (164), elephants (133), cats (130), cattle (127), dogs (111), rabbits (71) and even a camel (70)! If you have completely run out of animals, you might like to follow the caravans, or climb up the steps, or even hide in the wooden barrel. Whatever potential theme you highlight from our archive image (which comes from the Tyne and Wear Archives and Museum Collection on Flickr Commons), all you need to do is to post your post on or around Saturday 1st June 2013 and then add a link to the list below.

I think I exhausted my menagerie of exotic animals in this post which had a tortoise, camel, and elephant.

So I'm going for the caravan, although in colour, it is 1970 at the Lakes of Killarney in Ireland. My parents had decided it was time for my sister and myself to see where we had come from. My Dad hadn't been back since he left in 1957. I was less than thrilled to be on this family trip as I had just finished my first year of university, had a summer job and a boyfriend!!
But then the magic happened and I was back there two years later with that boyfriend. This was very risque in those days to be travelling with a boyfriend.

This photo was taken by a "professional" photographer and you had to pay for the photo and then wait two months for the photo to be mailed and received overseas.



In looking through the photos on that trip I do have black and white photos of a couple more horse and carts which I believe were taken at Molly's Gap.



5 comments:

  1. You will be able to use the same photos when we have to blog about rain !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nigel! I will hold you responsible (she said mysteriously). These are great images of you and your family Jackie. I've been to Kilarney and loved it; the locals begged us to stay because we bought the sunshine - not a drop of rain for the whole week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the caravan photo with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised to hear about the two-month wait, but I suppose being a colour photograph, the processing could not really have been done on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would take two months between the processing time and the time it took to get it from Ireland to Canada by boat mail.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.