Saturday, June 29, 2013

inSPIREed Sunday



Sally hosts inSPIREd Sundays.Sally hosts inSPIREd Sunday!


July 2005 - Dublin Ireland


We had never visited the Church of St. Michan in Dublin and thought it would be a good place to take our niece and nephew on their first trip in 2005. St. Michan's was first built in 1095, possibly on the site of an early church constructed by the Viking Danes - Michan was said to be an old Danish saint, though records in Christchurch Cathedral suggest that he was an "Irish saint and confessor", while other theories suggest he was a Dublin Norseman, thus incorporating both other ideas. on their first trip to Dublin.

We were the only visitors and our guide was extremely well-informed, and a bit of a character. You enter the vaults from outside and climb down through slanted metal doors into long corridors, with chambers on each side.

Our guide said the air in the vaults is extremely dry due to the consistency of the soil and the steady unvarying temperate.
This is my niece's face when I tell her she can touch a corpse and a great fortune would come to her.


I didn't take any photos inside, I think we were told "No photographs".
I did find some at another site and am posting one of his.
Four mummies are on view inside an inner chamber - with a few random skulls lying around beside them. 
St. Michan's Church and mummies, Dublin Ireland










14 comments:

  1. Great shots and what a wonderful trip! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a wonderful trip, but I'm with your niece on touching the corpses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fascinating - I've never heard of St Micham, but if I ever get to Dublin I will go and take a look. I love stories about the old saint. My Snapshot is at My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/l9bDi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just read a terrifying Bradbury story about mummies--I could never go into that crypt! Shudder...

    I love that tower in your last shot, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I love the look on her face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The look on her face is exactly what I expected. I don't think I'd touch them either.
    Perhaps scarecrows are a little less scary afterall. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You captured the beauty and horror of this whole experience in these photos. Thank you!

    Here's my
    Saturday Snapshot.
    I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. I wonder what font they used on the stone♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  9. It certainly looks an interesting tour. I must keep it in mind for my next trip to Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking steeple, solid and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't be touching those corpses either! What a place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very castle like. have a great week. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful old church. I'm with your niece, though. I'm not touching one of those corpses!

    Thank you for sharing it in InSPIREd Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.