Saturday, May 16, 2020

Self-Isolation Week 10


Weekend Cooking is now hosted by Marg at The Intrepid Reader!
Beth Weekend Cooking THANKS, BETH for your years of hosting.
Weekend Potluck

May 2020 - Toronto ON







AROUND TOWN
Saturday morning I got up at 5:30 AM to go to the bathroom, John woke. I noticed it looked bright outside so I opened the shutter to John's disgust  "delight".



Then what was this?? It's May 9 and 10 for goodness sakes!


John's take on it.


The plants had to be brought in from the balcony due to the cold.




A fun look at some local DIY masks.

John's photos while out walking.

Sculpture Saturday  and Weekend Reflections were from John's walks.







We only did one outing this week, which was disappointing. Friday was supposed to be a nice day and we had plans but we woke to fog and rain.

I featured a mural from last week on Monday.


Seemly the Van Gogh exhibition is still a go in July, our tickets were moved from early May.


The Wheatsheaf is Toronto's oldest bar, it was slated to reopen March 17, St. Patrick's Day this year, after massive renovations BUT then everything had to close due to Covid 19.



This mural replaces one I posted in September 2019!



SWEAT AND TONIC an interesting name for a gym.


A glimpse of the murals on Yonge St. that pay tribute to the frontline workers.
I posted them on Monday.





The Beltline Trail is a nine-kilometre path where walkers, joggers, and bikers can traverse the city from west to east, weaving in and out of neighbourhoods along midtown Toronto.

Established in 1989, the trail is built on what used to be the Toronto Belt Line Railway — a commuter line that opened in the 1890s to service residents of suburbia but failed to turn a profit, ultimately closing just two years later.


Robert Sprachman, a local artist installed a sculpture, The Iron Horse, depicting horses in silhouette.

Kay Gardner was a local councillor.



The window says "Don't worry, we'll see you soon. Visit us online...We miss you, stay safe.




Roots store has a thank you sign.



We kept heading north on Yonge, view as we approached North York.


Gluten free!


Further north, in Thornhill we encountered a lot of construction.
The Yonge Street Rapidway is a bus rapid transit corridor on Yonge Street in York Region. Construction of the Yonge Street portion of the network began in 2014. The Rapidway is primarily used by the Viva Blue service.





We and no one I know has any plans to go rushing out to the stores in the next month. We'll wait and see what happens as the hordes head out.



The city is introducing "quiet streets" by closing them to car traffic to allow pedestrians and cyclists more room.
Considering these streets will still be open to local traffic I have to wonder exactly what this will accomplish.

In addition to creating "quiet streets," the city will also be closing some sections of major roads adjacent to parks and trails to all car traffic on holidays and weekends as per a recommendation from Transportation Services staff and Toronto Public Health.


And John is happy...golf courses will reopen this weekend with lots of rules.







AROUND THE HOUSE

John CLR'd the kitchen faucet.

I tidied up the shelves in the hall closet. Who knew I would need to make a space for face masks and gloves???

Tax deadline was moved to June and John got our papers to the accountant this week. This meant we cleaned out the tax files and now have a lot of shredding to do.

I received my new shower curtain and planter so we are in the process of re-doing the bathroom.

Move in 2012

Towel rack was attached to sink - sliding glass shower













Bathtub and sliding doors replaced in 2013.


Sink replaced with cabinet 2014


2020 to come!!!!


New sheets from Linen Chest.


My knitting



LEARNING




More art recreations.




Check out these incredible cups and saucers. I priced them on Amazon at around $20.





COOKING





No grocery runs this week, nothing.

A photo challenge this week was A Sense of Tasting, check it out, I did a day of eating around the world.

I continued with a coffee theme for the A-Z Weekend Roundup.


How does this sound? Bacon jalapeno popper quiche?

I went back to watching Masterchef UK.
Crispy chicken feet from Masterchef UK Season 16.





I just made butter out of leftover past due date 35% cream!!! Where did I get the idea? Netflix - new series I'm watching.

Click here for some of her recipes from her cookbook.


She mentioned that she never wastes anything, something I aspire to. She then went ahead and whipped leftover cream into butter.

I had expired (but still good) 35 % cream in the fridge. There wasn't much left so figured what the heck.



Seriously watching more of this series, I thought I was good at not wasting but watch her use canned baked beans to make falafel.




This week's menu

Weekend breakfast - I had started eating before I took the photo!



Hamburger stew, I had a lot of vegetables in the fridge. Also had leftover celery and carrot sticks from the chicken wings. I diced the sticks and cooked them with the meat, onions, garlic along with tomato paste, beef stock. I made mashed potatoes with parsnips and mashed carrots and turnips.

Pork belly with Brussels sprouts and sticky sesame cauliflower - NOT a keeper, too soggy.

Slow cooker onion soup because I have a lot of onions in the freezer with mozzarella cheese, also because we have it in the fridge. Also have some stale bread in freezer. Caramelized onions in oven rather than the ridiculous 10 hours in the slow cooker recipe.



This did not turn out as planned. The onions had been frozen when we had a glut of onions that were starting to rot. But they were too wet to caramelize properly and that  just led to soggy onions. As well, mozzarella cheese didn't work either.

Pizza - the result of a wilting green peppers, mushrooms and more mozzarella.

Oven fried chicken homemade biscuits and salad

Salmon, Greek lemon potatoes and cauliflower with mustard sauce.

Steak baked potato


New apron




WATCHING

As mentioned above I spent time watching Masterchef UK Season 16 on Youtube. I also found a new Netflix cooking show Time to Eat and finished the season as I cook in the kitchen.


We finished the six 6 seasons of The Black List! Now waiting for season 7.

Schitt's Creek - we're also working through it.

I'm still watching Mad Men and enjoying it more in season 4.

John started watching Ozark. He also watched The Last Dance.



READING

Again, not a lot of reading done. Still working on The Witch Elm.

THROWBACK TRAVEL



The Coronavirus playlist took us to London England.

This time last year continues...


16 comments:

  1. I lived within spitting distance of the beltline trail, fabulous training trail for the running season Toronto. Great memories. Love your knitting. Well I love all your photos, you are prodigious and put me to shame. Also food. Yum :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie,
    As usual, I enjoyed your photos, food, and insights! Can you believe that our mall , TjMaxx, and Homegoods, are opening on Monday!! I like your advice in your first box.. This is all too soon for me especially since so many people refuse or just don't wear masks! Have a safe week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad the onions didn't work out. Sounded like a greta idea. Love the photo thats states Slow Down, My Dad Works Here! Your travel photos make me envious. Cognac and Rome....lovely.

    We finished the Witch Elm and it wasn't my favorite Tana novel. Her writing is excellent as always but I'm hoping for the Dublin Murder Squad again for her next book. How much do you love Hugo in this book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a hard time with Witch Elm, not my favourite Tana either. Just getting to Hugo...

      Delete
  4. That roller coaster comment is great! I bet John's happy about golf. I noticed one of our local courses was going to open today ... also with a bunch of social distancing rules. That blue sky!!!! Now that I'm going part-time with work I can pull out my knitting again (just in time for warm weather -- haha). All those lovely food photos from your travels. Ahhhh. I hope we'll be travel again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, your May of 2019 looks a lot better than this one. Probably true for every one of us! I just picked up a giant order of produce and I'm working on rhubarb sauce, leeks vinaigrette, and vegetable stock. So at least we'll have ok things to eat in lockdown.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you had your reasons but I am surprised at changing from glass sliding doors to a shower curtain. I almost always do battle with a shower curtain if there is one in whatever accommodation where we are staying. I like the road work sign that says My Dad Works Here. Even though not out much, you still came up with a and interesting full week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the same time we had put a walk in shower in our en suite bathroom so this one where we removed the sliding doors is almost never used.
      I hate shower curtains when we travel too!

      Delete
  7. I love all the art work that you find in your city. I also like the sound of the Beltline!

    This time last year I was in Kansas coming to the end of our trip. We finished up in Kansas City before heading back home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the roller coaster quote - nice collection of photos - stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, yes, I need to share the roller coaster analogy. Perfect. I wonder how we will know when the roller coaster is fixed. I just know I don't want to be the one trying it out.

    Love the emotional baggage, too.

    I hope you are able to go to the Van Gogh exhibit.

    Your photos always lift me up.



    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos of all the murals you found in Ontario? the world? I forgot to check back on the art reproductions. Love them they make me smile. Hope this week it warms up for you. My Sunday Salon and Coronavirus Diary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking at your travel photos in France got me feeling warm. The lighting came all the way through your pictures. :-) Those green towers you saw on the freeway reminded me of zippers, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah, the emotional baggage of the suitcase is a good one:) Like the changes i the color schemes you made in your house:) If there was not text to the nature captures, I wouldn't know that it's a different time from last year! Hey, there at least a few cars on the road! Actually, grocery shopping here, is lengthened, by having to stand in line 6 feet apart, and only going in, when someone leaves the store. But thank goodness, people are not hoarding food anymore. The shelves look normal!! many thanks for your always interesting and witty updates for all Seasons, Jeackie. Forge on, we are going to make it:) Have a lovely week, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand the sentiment "stay home" but in my case it has prevented me from getting home. Looks like the border will remain closed for another 30 days with mandatory quarantines. That can be difficult for some of us with no family and few community supports. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellingham is a lovely place to have a condo to spend some time. It is difficult not to have a support system.

      Delete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.