Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday
Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.

January 2019 - Mazatlan Mexico

I haven't come across any new words in my reading this week. But I have been pondering (insert John shaking his head) the English language as I have read some words that made me think.

ca·reer

noun
an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress.
"she spent three years training for a business career"

verb
move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way in a specified direction."the car careered across the road and went through a hedge"

leaf

noun
a flattened structure of a higher plant, typically green and blade-like, that is attached to a stem directly or via a stalk. Leaves are the main organs of photosynthesis and transpiration.
verb
turn over (the pages of a book or the papers in a pile), reading them quickly or casually. "he leafed through the stack of notes"




And then I was doing a photo challenge for the word LIST.


list

noun
a series of names or other items written or printed together in a meaningful grouping or sequence so as to constitute a record


noun
a careening, or leaning to one side, as of a ship.

4 comments:

  1. It's always fascinating to see all the different meanings one word can have. Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you featured these three words. I tried to think of a word for what you did so I can offer you a word back. Here it is: homage - as in "I like your homage to career, leaf and list."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless one is connected to the sea, we don't often use list in ship's terms.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.