Friday, November 22, 2013

Sepia Saturday - Nov 23


Sepia Saturday

I'm posting at Sepia Saturday today. This week's challenge:


204 : It is 50 years since the assassination of JFK. It was one of those iconic moments in history, just like the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914. So photographs of momentous moments is one of our themes for this week, along with anything else you might find in the photograph.

In 1963 on a Friday November 22 when JFK was murdered in Dallas I was in grade 6 at St. Kevin's School in Montreal. 

It was mid-afternoon and I remember another teacher coming into the classroom to tell our teacher.


What else made the news that day?
The Beatles released their second U.K. album, With The Beatles.


Died: Aldous Huxley, 69, English novelist


Died: C. S. Lewis, 64, Irish novelist, poet, academic, medievalist, literary critic, essayist, lay theologian and Christian apologist

10 comments:

  1. I liked you choice of quotes to follow your post, and the Beatles is always an excellent choice.t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet a lot of people didn't notice all the other things happening on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it wasn't the only thing that happened that day, but everything else was effectively relegated to second place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That days and in the days that followed the rest of the news seemed very unimportant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good gathering of important events...thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting collection of images and quotes. For a long time I kept newspapers featuring major events , but they went out in a de-cluttering of our loft before we moved house last year. Your post made me wish I still had them to draw on for my blog. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know all those other things happened that day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Jackie mentioned, the other three occurrences you mentioned being in the news the day President Kennedy was killed, were probably overlooked by most people. I know I don't remember them & I generally - even back then - read the paper thoroughly from front page to last. Thank you for reminding us there were other important things in the news that day as well. Not sure the Beatles' release of a new album was up there on the list, but certainly the deaths of Huxley & Lewis were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Beatles that day were on stage at the Globe Theatre in Stockton-on-Tees, the town 6 miles from where I live in England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness -- what an interesting mix of news.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.