Artist Chairman Ting a Vancouver based, artist led studio which has a "unique and whimsical style". He painted a massive 27,000-square-foot mural installation inside the lower level pathways and closed sections of the former Hudson's Bay store connected to Toronto's underground PATH network. The vibrant artwork serves as a love letter to Toronto, featuring iconic local landmarks and cultural symbols.
This is what it looked like after the store closed and before the mural.
The owners of that space, Cadillac Fairview, has provided temporary space for art to enhance the space. The temporary exhibition space is to feature young, emerging artists and is named ArtLaunch. That means that the art will change through 2026, so check it out before it is gone, then check out the new art.
Stretching over 30 kilometres, Toronto's massive underground pedestrian network, known as the PATH, can feel like a city itself.
Holy Cow - I didn't think it was as big as it was until I went back on August 12.
I took these photos on June 30.
Photos taken August 12.
Funny, with all the new signage, I came across two sets of tourists begging security officers to show them the way out.









































Oh this is so cool. I love all the colors, details and brilliance of this.
ReplyDeleteHoly moly, that is ONE BIG MURAL!!!! But I really like its vibrant, whimsical cartoon style. I love all the rabbits in particular. My favourite of them is the rabbit hockey player with the Lanny McDonald 'stache! And I love how every pedestrian is walking along in the classic "Keep On Truckin" pose made famous by cartoonist Robert Crumb!
ReplyDeleteHuge! Love the 'stache reference. And I had never heard of Crumb, so I am going down that rabbit hole!!
DeleteWhat wonderful and appealing art. We never used PATH and perhaps we should have as refuge from the heat.
ReplyDeleteWas it terribly hot when you were here? The PATH is a lifesaver from weather and terrible drivers!
Delete...I would never get anywhere, I would constantly stopping and photographing!
ReplyDeleteI know, I spent ages. And it continues outside on the windows. That reminds me, I should get those photos too!
DeleteCertainly is massive.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a huge underground gallery. I can imagine people would get lost there! Fantastic mural, thanks for participating in Monday Murals Jackie.
ReplyDeleteNeat cartoon-style murals!
ReplyDelete