Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader
14 August 2026 - Toronto ON
SATURDAY
I worked on our St. John's itinerary. I filed some photos which lead to draft posts.
I put away the laundry and made the sauce for tonight's lasagna.
John went for a walk before the forecasted storms. Some photos he took.
This vibrant cyberpunk-style cyborg mural painted on a utility box is the work of Toronto-based graffiti and lighting artist Gabriel Ramos, known as Kizmet32.
That's us in the middle with the white bridge - Humber.
SUNDAY
My morning readings had me down rabbit holes:
Macro lens for phone - Deb
Find a Persian restaurant - Deb so many to choose from!
John Marsden Tomorrow series - Jinjer why does the library only have book 1???
Lindsay Clancy trial - Jinjer the husband did it!!!!!
Is the Age of Reading...over? CBC Books
20 Canadian writers to watch in 2026 CBC Books
Sex, Drugs and Washing Dishes Anthony Bourdain - John new movie Tony
Watch Time (Britbox) with Ramsey - via article above
The Daily Stoic podcast - John
My plan was to go for pizza (Montreal style) and the AGO, pizza place wasn't open on Sundays so we didn't go out.
For my kitchen viewing, I finished Devotion: Obedience or Betrayal is a three-part documentary miniseries released in June 2026. It explores the controversial Christian community Gloriavale in New Zealand. The show looks at how the group's strict rules led to abuse and scandals.
MONDAY
We were up bright and early to prepare for the mattress delivery between 9 - 12. Blanket and mattress cover were washed and dried. I had ordered new sheets with the mattress.
Our new mattress was delivered by 10 AM as promised by their gps!
We went for our pizza that we didn't get yesterday, we took the shuttle and then the subway to St. Patrick. Forgot to get a photo before we dived in! We agreed it was very good pizza, however, John said he prefers Pizzaioli.
And then the AGO wasn't open! I know better, museums generally close on Mondays, no wonder we were commenting on how quiet it was walking there! We'll have to come back.
Back up plan, Chinatown.
$12.
I finalized our trip to St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador.
TUESDAY
Since John was doing a Costco run for a few items, I cleaned out the vegetable bins. I had asked him to pick up two rotisserie chickens this time. I wanted to freeze one. So I broke down each chicken and threw all the bones into the soup pot. Then I packaged one chicken into 2-8 oz portions for pasta and 1- 12 oz portion for stew or soup. The other chicken became our chicken Alfredo tonight and some will be our chicken stew (with soup broth) on Wednesday. Anything left will be frozen as well as I don't have any menu plans for chicken. And had a large container of chicken broth to freeze as well.
John went golfing. And I went to find those last 2 elusive beavers, ✅success!! But it was hot out! Final Recap.
The sedum are changing colours.
I sent this to John's granddaughter, it is perfect for her, so "insta"! If you zoom in you can see the sandwich trays in the top window!
Another (unassuming) library for my list.
I remember when this was just the Globe and Mail Toronto Sun before the grocery store and before the new glass tower for the Globe and Mail was built!
For decades, the broader city block was dominated by the Toronto Sun Building, a low-rise, brown-brick industrial and corporate headquarters built in 1975. This facility housed both the newsrooms and the massive mechanical printing presses for the Toronto Sun newspaper.
In the early 2010s, developer First Gulf undertook a massive multi-phase modernization project to transform the old printing facility into a high-density corporate hub known as the King East Centre:
Coca-Cola Canada Headquarters (2013): The first phase involved a three-story vertical office addition directly over the existing western building structure at 333 King Street East. Coca-Cola Canada moved its national headquarters here in 2013.
Coca-Cola on King today.
The Globe and Mail Centre (2016): The eastern section of the lot was severed to construct the striking 17-story glass tower seen directly adjacent and soaring above the complex. Completed in late 2016, it serves as the corporate headquarters for The Globe and Mail newspaper. It also houses a sprawling urban campus for George Brown College.
Back on Queen, in the seedier area of Moss Park, I was looking for a streetcar stop home.
I took more photos of historical buildings that I posted for a Tuesday Treasures.
Unconditional is an Israeli drama television series. After 23-year-old Gali (Talia Lynne Ronn) is imprisoned in Russia for drug smuggling, her mother Orna (Liraz Chamami) attempts to navigate a complex legal and political system to secure her release. To save her, Orna is forced to confront the reality of who her daughter actually is.
WEDNESDAY
John got drenched as he arrived for his golf game. I got sprinkled on as I went to the bus but it pelted down when I got home.
I went shopping in a few places, got some cash from the bank and finalized a photo shoot for an upcoming Monday Mural.
Back home I did some administrivia. I also started packing what will be needed for next week's trip.
THURSDAY
Random Repost Budapest Hungary 2012
What a day we had. To begin with, we had a pigeon/dove? stuck on our balcony, I couldn't shoo him/her away not even with a broom, it would try to fly but kept hitting the glass on the railing. I emailed/called security at 8:25, the office doesn't open until 9. At 9:05 it mustered up the energy and flew away!! I then had this humourous response from the security manager!
Well Jackie,
THAT IS FORTUNATE!! 😊 Happy to hear that the situation of the vertically challenged pigeon has resolved itself. Let me know if you encounter any further oddities. 😊
We took the streetcar at 11 and it certainly had its share of characters today! Then the 511 to Bloor. We wanted to check out the "new" Mirvish Village.
Mirvish Village is a brand-new, master-planned rental and cultural community at the southwest corner of Bloor and Bathurst Street. Built on the historic site of the iconic Honest Ed's department store, the multi-acre site features purpose-built rental housing, pedestrian laneways, and localized independent retail.
We haven't been along here in at least 5 years!! In fact it was August 2019 and here is that post! We did go in 2020 when they demolished Mirvish Warehouse and had the hoarding up.
It looks like I never posted them, so here they are.
I took this, my one and only, photo in 2016.
John couldn't get over the change in this corner!! This is Mirvish Village! Located at the southwest corner of Bloor and Bathurst streets—reveals a dense, multi-building mixed-use complex featuring mid-rise podiums, several contemporary rental towers ranging up to 26 storeys, and integrated restored heritage storefronts along Markham Street.
Wikipedia photo BlogTO 2015 article about Mirvish Village
It is not quite open so we will have to return.
Can you see "For the Birds" in the fountain?
It's been over eight years since the shining lights of Honest Ed's dimmed for the last time at Toronto's Bathurst and Bloor intersection, but the vintage kitsch of the lost bargain store just returned in a big (and bright) way.
BMO, pizza, LCBO and the Book Bar are open.
This area is also known as Koreatown.
Toronto's original Koreatown is a vibrant downtown cultural hub located along Bloor Street West, stretching between Bathurst Street and Christie Street.Officially part of the Seaton Village area, it is famous for its independent retailers, karaoke bars, and dense concentration of authentic Korean restaurants.
This historic building at 693 Bloor Street West in Toronto (at Clinton Street) formerly housed the iconic neighborhood institution Clinton's (and briefly Bar 693), which operated as a bar and live music/dance venue for 86 years before closing in 2024, and has since been transformed into Zui Beer Bar & Restaurant.
Clinton's 2019 - our photo.
There were several places featuring mapo. The word "tofu" is literally part of the name (mápó dòufu). However, the other ingredients in the sauce—like the meat or spices—can change, and some modern kitchens use the famous spicy Mapo flavor profile with other soft base ingredients like duck blood or eggplant.
We had seen him in 2018, nice to see it is still here. Christie Pits Tiger.
Although the tiger has nothing to do with the birth of Christ, the Korea Town Business Improvement Area lights him up every winter to symbolize, according to Korean mythology, well-being and prosperity. The organization commissioned Baekho, the 17-by-8.5-foot jungle cat, to mark the advent of a neighbourhood rejuvenation project back in 2005. Since then, the BIA has done much to upgrade the area, though none of its other initiatives—sidewalk beautification, improved garbage collection—exude the in-your-faceness of Baekho. He’s made out of more than 1,300 pounds of aluminum and 22,000 orange and white LED bulbs. Should he spark ambitions (à la Clark Griswold) of one-upping your neighbours’ light-up lawn trinketry, be warned: Baekho came with a $50,000 price tag and costs $7,000 annually to maintain and store.
The structure originally operated for decades as the Metro Theatre, a vintage neighborhood cinema that later became known as an adult movie theatre before closing.
A great grocery store, PAT Central,we've been in it before. I need to come back and pick up some frozen items.
We took the same photos in 2019! The side of the grocery store.
More Korean restaurants.
We had thought we could eat at Mirvish Village but nothing was opened. So we randomly chose Fancy Burger, we should have gone with Simple Burger a couple of blocks away!
What were we thinking, we are in Koreatown, but it was now already 1:30, we had gotten here at noon so we were hungry and just wanted something.
Simply awful. John's had only a single, stringy sliver of onion, no guacamole as advertised.
Oh well, I had a coffee destination in mind. It was hot walking, but we captured lots of murals.
And this is a beautiful neighbourhood.
I checked it out, listed at $3,400,000 5 bedrooms 6 bathrooms.
This exhibits the classic "Annex Style" of residential architecture popularized by E.J. Lennox—characterized by its asymmetrical facade, heavy red brick construction, rounded entranceways, and prominent conical-roofed corner turret—its actual geographic location places it right along the historic Mirvish Village corridor on Markham Street.
The Original Owner: This 1896-built Victorian home was originally constructed for a local plumbing and heating business owner, a common occupation for the affluent merchant class that populated the neighbourhood.
Famous individuals who have lived just blocks away include literary icon Margaret Atwood, actress Rachel McAdams, musician Deadmau5, urban theorist Jane Jacobs, and Meghan Markleorhood during Toronto's late-19th-century boom.
Commissioned in 1890 by T.R. Earl, these twin brick residential homes were built during a period of rapid development in the Palmerston-Little Italy neighborhood.
The complex is a striking example of the asymmetric Queen Anne Revival architectural style, famously featuring a prominent three-storey corner tower, a cross-gable roof with shingled dormers, and detailed stained-glass transom fanlights over the entryways.
In 1937, the residential properties were acquired and converted by the Shaarei Tzedec Congregation to serve as their synagogue. Because of this dual architectural and cultural value, the city officially designated them under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act in 2001.
Boxcar Social Laneway is a part of the Boxcar Social coffee empire, located secretively at the end of an alleyway on Markham St.
You might not know it from the tucked away location, but behind the graffiti and concrete lies a cozy cafe oasis for great pour over modeled after Japanese listening bars.

Iced lattes - lavender and mango pandan. I have had pandan juice and it really has no flavour, but I love mango anything!!
BlogTO photo.
After that refreshing break we ventured out into the heat again and saw more murals!! I'll post them in a couple of weeks.
Collective Arts Brewery. Click here for a recap of some Collective Arts murals.
Nice to sit on the streetcar in the air conditioning heading home, once again "entertained" by the various city folk, all kinds of kinds.
FRIDAY
Nice to sit on the streetcar in the air conditioning heading home, once again "entertained" by the various city folk, all kinds of kinds.
FRIDAY
We caught the 10:30 shuttle and then the 114 bus to Cherry St. note to self - next time get off at Commissioners St.
We wanted to check out the new section of Biidaasige Park. The opening of the new western section of Biidaasige Park expands public access to a reimagined section of Toronto’s shoreline and reconnects people to both Lake Ontario and a new one-kilometre stretch of the Don River through nature, recreation, culture and public gathering spaces. It represents a shared commitment by partners to creating new public spaces, advancing waterfront revitalization and expanding Toronto's largest park in a generation.
We had visited the original opening in 2025. There is also a new ferry option available in 2026.
It is truly amazing what they have created and all easily reachable by city transit.
.
.
.
Ferry dock.
They do need to expand some eating options, at the moment there is only the Cherry Street BBQ, we stopped here last year. This time we ate, we went with their specialities, sausage, pork belly burnt ends ✅(never had them before),coleslaw, and potato salad - meh.


Once home we worked on our October travel itinerary, tying down some ends, booking a couple of things, using AI.
I learned today, when using AI to create a long document that I can click anywhere inside the text window above, press Ctrl + A (or Cmd + A on a Mac) to highlight the entire plan, and copy it. You can then paste it directly into an email to yourself, a Google Doc, or a Microsoft Word file.
.
The enormous 300-ton structure along the newly carved renaturalized mouth of the Don River, known as the Atlas Crane, is Toronto's only heritage-designated piece of construction machinery.
The Atlas Crane is the lone remnant of what was once the bustling Marine Terminal 35, a terminal that began operation in 1959, shortly after the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway transformed the city's harbour into a viable industrial port with direct connections to the Atlantic Ocean.
The crane was installed two years later, in 1961, quickly becoming a fixture on the city's rapidly industrializing skyline as Marine Terminal 35 grew into the busiest terminal on Toronto Harbour.
.
.

Ferry arriving.
Orange Functional by Cuban-born artist Alexandre Arrechea examines the politics of public gathering spaces through multiple sets of basketball hoops that double as a sculpture, turning the beloved sport into an interactive art experience.


Once home we worked on our October travel itinerary, tying down some ends, booking a couple of things, using AI.
I learned today, when using AI to create a long document that I can click anywhere inside the text window above, press Ctrl + A (or Cmd + A on a Mac) to highlight the entire plan, and copy it. You can then paste it directly into an email to yourself, a Google Doc, or a Microsoft Word file.
COOKING
I watched an interesting video about freezing rotisserie chicken for future meals. Why are some of these videos soooooooo long?? She takes 12 minutes just to get the meat of the bones!
I learned that a rotisserie chicken should be 4 oz per person for pasta, I used this when talking about freezing chicken above.
"Bavette" is the French word for "bib" because of its fan-shaped appearance. Call it bavette d'aloyau (bib of the sirloin or sirloin bavette) when you're ready to impress someone. It's also called flap steak or flap meat, which doesn't sound nearly as delicious! John's son often cooks this so we thought we try it. I had tried to buy some last at the market but was told it is only sold during the summer so I grabbed it this time.
It's prized for its rich flavor and tender meat. The picture below shows the fine marbling and loose texture, which allows marinade and spices to quickly absorb into the meat.
Saturday - homemade lasagna Caesar salad
Sunday - pork tenderloin, coleslaw mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts
Monday - leftover lasagna
Tuesday - chicken stew with homemade chicken stock
Wednesday - chicken Alfredo
Thursday - Thai spicy basil pork with rice
Friday - marinated bavette with baked potato
ADDED TO MY RECIPE BOX THIS WEEK
Gingerbread my mother's recipe. This has been lingering in my drafts forever!
Yes, I'm reading another Ruth Dugall, the 4th in the series with Cate Austin.
Books I flipped through.































































































.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
















No comments:
Post a Comment
This blog does not allow anonymous comments.