Saturday, June 25, 2022

Clockwork


June 2022 - Toronto ON

King St. East Toronto ON
Clockwork is permanently closed.

Saturday John headed to physio and lunch, he had an omelet at Sunnyside Grill.



 I booked our ferry for Newfoundland and then worked a bit more on our trip plans. The rest of the day was this and that.

Sunday I worked on our trip. Did some embroidery.

Monday I booked a 7 day tour in Newfoundland Labrador. We will leave our car at the hotel and resume our solo trip after the tour.
John went for a mani-pedi.



I went and did some shopping downtown. I hit the $ store!

Tuesday 


We took the 9:30 bus and then subway to College. First stop was a very interesting breakfast at Fran's. 

We were sitting in a booth and there was a father and son across from us. The father looked at us and jokingly said "so nice to see a father and a daughter eating out together". I inwardly rolled my eyes 🙄. He then said to John, "I only say that because you are a very lucky man to have this lovely lady". More eyerolls from me. 🙄🙄
He then talked away to his son about money and budgeting. Then into a complicated business deal that he was putting together that involved Hong Kong, Singapore and moving to Bermuda.
There was a young family behind us that got up to leave. They had a tiny daughter, maybe about 4 with her doll. He proceeded to tell her she was a pretty little girl and to be good for her parents and do well in school.
He was paying his bill and said to the server, is that enough for a tip. Obviously it was because she couldn't stop thanking him. He said "I've had good times and bad times, you have to work here so take the money for your kids". With that he got up to leave and said to us "don't let them charge you I have paid your bill". Sure....
Asked for our bill and server says oh no, he paid your bill. We said, really? Yes, so we left her a good tip, she said no he tipped her very generously, we said please take it. She beamed and we beamed.

Across the street to Winner's (T.J.Maxx) and I got a top and a pair of pants. 

Then down the street to the new and first downtown Ikea. It is cashless and DIY checkout. It caters to the condo dwellers in the area.

Ikea displays.



New street art in College Park.



To Rexall for seniors' day then Metro for a rotisserie chicken. Back on subway and had some time to kill so we sat and read. 
Suddenly, there are sirens on Front St. Seems someone important was in town. I know it wasn't Trudeau or the Governor General because I checked their schedules.

These motorcycles were bringing up the rear. There were the same number in the front.


This woman walked over the car, the female officer rolled down her window and said "I can't say who it is", as the car behind bellowed "Madam, step away from the car"!
And before Andrew or William ask, no that is not more construction at Union, they are erecting the summer food market.

We decided to have a movie afternoon with popcorn and beer/cider! We continued watching The Americans.


The sunset for the summer solstice was magnificent.









Wednesday John had golf. It was 36C (97F) feeling like 36 but with a heat warning!


I got my hair cut and some shopping - all underground in the cool!



Creative use for a closed up shop in the TD Centre.


Royal York Pride colours.


Thursday John went to bottle his wine. Then we went to the butcher shop that we've decided will be our go-to for meat.
I then did more vacation research and some hotel bookings.
We finally got the invoices (and past due notices) for the last three jobs he did. All received on the same day. There was the broken heat valve, bathroom drip and the rearrangement and upgrading of the plumbing for the washer/dryer total $1,540!!
I sent an email complaining (she blamed Canada Post) and provided a statement which didn't include one of the invoices so I e-transferred what she asked $1,093!


Tony, our favourite condo valet is retiring so we got him a little something.




Friday John golfed and I met my BFF for lunch downtown, our first in over two years!
We went to Kelly's Landing. I would have preferred NOT to have lettuce on the bottom of the fish tacos but they were delicious.


Handing out samples. This is the perfect corner for samples.


Reminder about the farmers' market in the financial district.





COOKING
Saturday BBQ chicken quarters, potato salad and sliced tomatoes.

Sunday slow cooker pot roast mashed cauliflower and potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

Monday burgers and potato salad.

Tuesday rotisserie chicken nachos.


Wednesday decided to finish the chicken in fajitas.

Thursday pork chops mashed potatoes with cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

Friday steak and loaded baked potato.

WATCHING
Just working our way through The Americans.



READING

I selected a few to read.

I figured I had read enough phycological thrillers for a while and should read something with more substance. I started Eleanor Roosevelt Volume 1 The Early Years after watching The First Lady. I am enjoying it but it reads very slowly, there is something about the writing. There is also much too historical detail, I have been reading all week and am only 40% through the book. This makes me think I don't want to read volume two and three!!


11 comments:

  1. That's a cool story about the mannin the restaurant paying your bill! Thanks for the link for the NYT books, I'll go through that and pick a few. Love your menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your commentary on the man at the diner *insert laughing crying emoji*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fish tacos look very good to me! Also the breakfast in the first photo. Toronto as you present it always looks like such a great place to be in a city: interesting but nowhere dangerous.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your weekend coffee share. Gorgeous sunset photos. Excellent choice for your trip. I just came back from NL and had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great week! Thanks for the link to the books, I'll be checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A trip to Newfoundland sounds exciting.
    What a strange encounter at the restaurant. While he paid for your meal, it feels a bit creepy. Perhaps I am misjudging him.
    Yes, I would have asked.
    We've just had our winter solstice. Grey skies and cold. Depressing and no beautiful sunsets.
    That's a clever display at the York.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting experience you had at Fran's. It sounds like that man was trying to make things better in his own way.

    You must tell us more about your trip plans. Things must be looking better in Canada.

    Nonfiction is probably my favorite genre, but it has to be good nonfiction. I have promised myself that I will never force myself to finish another bad textbook-y nonfiction book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a great week. I find historical nonfiction to be hit or miss. I've read some really engaging ones and then the ones that just have way too much details and not enough story and those are hard to get through. Check out my summer catch up at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to plan a trip! I've never been to New Foundland. I hope you share many photos from your trip. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a story about your experience at the restaurant! I saw that list of NYC novels.The Times even is bringing back their T Book Club to focus on them - a series of 4 virtual events beginning in August with Desperate Characters by Paula Fox. I've already signed up. Gorgeous sunset photos!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.