Saturday, June 11, 2022

Goldstruck


June 2022 - Toronto ON

Yorkville Toronto ON

Odd things I learned this week in Blogland.
Maphead's post about the Southern Baptist sex scandals lead me to listen to the podcasts mentioned.
UPDATE Debbie from Readerbuzz said my link didn't work and sent me a better one, let me know if it doesn't work! Amnesty International travel warning for the US.

NEW WORD - Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪˌkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. Courtesy of Jon Batiste.

I posted some Platinum Julbilee videos.

As always I found some great book recommendations.

We don't normally sit outside downstairs, but we did on Saturday. 

I baked cherry crisp bars on Sunday. I had the can of cherries forever as I don't remember why I bought it. It was really good but impossible to lift out of the pan!

My funny story of the week featuring Prince Louis.

Monday was a coolish morning as I headed out for my second booster shot. John took the car to a dentist appointment as the bus schedule didn't work for him and he didn't want to take public transit.

The Royal York Hotel has a new historical plaque.


I wandered through Union Station and found some new art. 
Here Now, Here Always, Walk with Us
This installation by Anishinaabe artist Emily Kewageshig depicts four figures who walk ahead into the future, striving forward with ways of being and existing. The painting symbolizes the importance of culture transitioning throughout time and history. Kewageshig created the imagery to display how life is cyclical: it shifts, changes, and adapts in cycles in order to preserve knowledge and allow for continuity of future generations.



I am land that speaks is an exhibition of contemporary artwork by local and international artists, curated by Maya Wilson-Sanchez. The exhibition brings attention to stories that come directly from the land. Engaging with story-telling practices specific to a certain place, the artworks in this show highlight history-making as a site-specific exercise. June 6 to October 6, 2022.
I am land that speaks is the third and final chapter of the I am land exhibition series that considers how artists take on the role of chroniclers.

Since I was here on June 6 not all the exhibits were up so I look forward to seeing more.

CARRYING MEMORIES OF THE LAND
This series of digital images explores value. The birchbark basket, cedar, and antlers have a direct relationship to the artist and the territory of the Secwepémc nation. The images were taken by the artist during this winter. The materials, carefully placed on the snow, are materials that Willard and her family harvested from the land and either made things with or consumed. The text is an acknowledgment and gratitude towards each material—an intentional valuing.

Tania Willard, Secwepemc Nation and settler heritage, is an artist, curator and assistant professor her ongoing collaborative project BUSH gallery, is a land-based gallery grounded in Indigenous knowledges in her home territories of Secwepemcúl̓ecw.


OVERTURE
This work is a new commission in Lisa Myers’s ongoing practice of working with berries and berry pigment in relation to ideas of land, history, and storytelling. She describes Overture as a proposal, an offering, and a movement. It speaks back to predatory real estate practices and celebratory consumerism as facets of ongoing colonialism whereby stolen lands and resources are fragmented and packaged into discrete parcels of speculative capital. Made with blueberry pigment, the phrases OVER ASKING and OVER TAKING evoke these tensions as ways in which individual wealth continues to be amassed at the expense of home, community, land, and sustenance. Appropriating the ubiquitous phrase “Over Asking” from real estate “sold” signs invites us to question the social costs of inflated real estate bubbles and the “Over Taking” inherent in colonization.
 

I will go back and get a better photo without this guy in it!


Ration Market Special is a new commission that presents a fictional scene from the near future where mass displacement has begun in order to avoid rising sea levels in Southeast Asia. This work is part of a vast project by artist Alvin Luong to imagine this inevitable migration that will affect his family in Vietnam. The speculative food cart, and the commodities within it, anticipate the hurried needs of people in transit, which include meals, sim cards for telecom companies in Asia Pacific, currency exchange, and support services for visa applications. The rectangular food rations are made from rau muống, or water spinach, a vegetable which was rationed to people in the aftermath of the American-Vietnam war. Packaged as shelf-stable survival rations, the artist reimagines this plant as a necessary meal during the future climate crisis, as it grows in water and flooded areas. Ration Market Special also takes into account the special characteristics of Union Station as a hub for transportation within Canada and a connection to international travel by rail and air.





We Live Future Ancestral Technologies Entry Log
We Live is both an entry log from a time/space jump and documentation of a performative land-based action. The work is set in a future where half of the Earth’s population left the planet after causing its ecological destruction—taking with them the notion of colonization. The remaining inhabitants are left to mourn and apologize to the land. Wearing sensory-muting regalia, the figures use their physical presence to pledge accountability to the land and waters affected by resource extraction and industry. This video illustrates how Future Ancestral Technologies approaches Indigenous futurism, blending media, place, storytelling, and documentation of a living practice. As a short film, it communicates the ethos of Future Ancestral Technologies while evidencing the live actions that the work requires.



Flowers for Majd Kaleel, Flowers for Anesian Issa
In 2021, Waard Ward collective offered a series of workshops to Arabic-speaking newcomers to develop flower-arranging skills at the Visual Arts Centre of Clarington. Each photograph is titled after the workshop participant who created the floral arrangement.
 

Tuesday my arm was sore but no other side effects. It was a foggy very rainy day so we didn't bother going out.

Wednesday John golfed and I paid my first visit to the Textile Museum of Canada since the pandemic started.

On my way there.
Dreaming by Plensa follows me.


A wedding at City Hall.




This was my main reason for my visit, a display of digital photos by Aida Muluneh called Water Life. Click here for my post of her works.




I also looked at Double Vision.
Double Vision profiles three ground-breaking artists from Nunavut—Jessie Oonark (1906 – 1985) and her daughters, Janet Kigusiuq (1926 – 2005) and Victoria Mamnguqsualuk (1930 – 2016)—and shines a light on a highly distinctive art form called nivinngajuliaat that developed out of government-sponsored craft programs in the Arctic, beginning with the sewing program in Qamani`tuaq (Baker Lake) established in the 1960s.










I decided to walk back to the bus stop as I had plenty of time.


You can tell it is the end of the school year as they are all doing school trips. No idea what these boys are up to with the hats.



Even as I approach her from the opposite direction she follows me.


Thursday I had planned on going out but didn't. Big mistake...Fire alarm went around 12:15 and then an announcement that due to an emergency we needed to evacuate the building and meet on the grounds by the BBQs. Elevators were working and no crowds, No sirens in earshot. People kept coming out. People saying this has never happened before.


There is no parking on our street, but the parking garage was also closed off so cars are parking where they can. People start wandering about.


 Finally we saw a flashing light at the front of the building so we wandered over.
Man in blue suit of our head of security.



After much speculation the Head of Security and building manager came out and said it was a bomb threat, police had searched the building and we were allowed back in.
John headed to acupuncture late afternoon.

Friday we did have a plan to go out in the morning, but never got our butts in gear. That's okay we are taking a mini trip on Sunday and Monday to London Ontario.

COOKING

Saturday mushroom pasta

Sunday pork chops broccoli new boiled potatoes

Monday hamburger steak with gravy, mashed potatoes and beans. Comfort food! I would usually call it hamburger patties but when I googled a recipe it said hamburger steak which is Salisbury steak in the States according to Wikipedia. 
Sooooo...going down that rabbit hole....
Hamburg was a common embarcation point for transatlantic voyages during the first half of the 19th century and New York City was the most common destination. Various New York restaurants offered Hamburg-style American fillet, or even beefsteak à Hambourgeoise. Early American preparations of ground beef were therefore made to fit the tastes of European immigrants.
Coming from this history of ground meat dishes is the Salisbury steak. James Salisbury (1823–1905) was an American physician and chemist known for his advocacy of a meat-centered diet to promote health, and the term Salisbury steak for a ground beef patty served as the main course has been used in the United States since 1897. Today, Salisbury steak is usually served with a gravy similar in texture to brown sauce, along with various side dishes. It is a common item in supermarket frozen food sections. 
Growing up we never had frozen TV dinners but I have a recollection of ads for a brand called Salisbury, but could not find any mention of a company by that name.

Tuesday chicken quarters, roast potatoes and carrots

Wednesday curry chicken

Thursday fish tacos - haddock and shrimp

Friday steak and loaded baked potato

WATCHING

Injustice is a five-part British drama television series about criminal defence barrister William Travers, who has lost faith in the legal system following a traumatic series of events.
We enjoyed it (always love British shows) and I liked seeing Dervla Kirwan, an Irish actress who was in Ballykissangel.


Yes, we are late to the party watching this and there are six seasons!
The Americans is an American period spy drama television series. Set during the Cold War, it follows the story of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB intelligence officers posing as an American married couple living in Falls Church, a Virginia suburb of Washington, D.C., with their children, Paige and Henry.
The series begins in the aftermath of the inauguration of President Ronald Reagan in January 1981 and concludes in December 1987, shortly before the leaders of the United States and the Soviet Union signed the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

Knowing is a 2009 American science fiction movie, set in Boston and filmed at The Docklands, Melbourne Australia.
Fifty years after it was buried in a time capsule, a schoolgirl's cryptic document falls into the hands of Caleb Koestler, the son of professor John Koestler (Nicolas Cage). John figures out that the encoded message accurately lists every major disaster from the past five decades, and predicts three future calamities -- one a global cataclysm. When his warnings fall on deaf ears, John enlists the help of the prophetic author's daughter and granddaughter to try to avert the ultimate disaster.



READING

You can check them out here on YouTube BOSH.TV.
 Green shakshuka  or green shakshuka I would have to add an egg.
I especially like the desserts, as I don't have a sweet tooth, and when I bake I try to reduce the amount of sugar in recipes. And I love the use of bananas since we always have frozen bananas.
Salted caramel apple crumble and custard I am definitely making this! I'm thinking breakfast.

I finished Not Our Kind, historical fiction set in New York after World War II and there is still a lot of discrimination against Jews. I enjoyed the perspective from two very different women on the class differences and relationships. It is a quick read.

I read The Long Weekend by Gilly MacMillan, what a riveting storyline! Just when I think I have it figured out I hit another twist!


12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the art you enjoyed this week. I hope to get out to our local museums after I return from this trip to Montana. Right now, I'm avoiding crowds as I don't want to be sick during the trip.

    My mom would never buy frozen dinners...too expensive, she told us.

    Knowing sounds intriguing. We've been working our way through several series and we haven't seen a movie in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The art and textile museums look so fantastic -- I wish it was still easy to drive from here to Toronto. I saw a fabulous exhibit on the history and uses of indigo dyes at the Textile Museum once, would love to go back. I couldn't figure out why Amnesty would ban travel to the US -- OH! Guns! We are so used to it that it's hard to remember that it's not a problem elsewhere.

    Have a good week.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Gilly MacMillan books and will have to check out the William Travers drama. Love your menu for the week - I could eat curry more often than Doug but I sure love it when we have it. I've watched Ballykissangel but it's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all your pictures with us. Sounds like a great week. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The art deco style picture of the Royal York is nice.
    A bomb scare. Wow.
    The tv series Injustice sounds interesting. I hope it is screened here. I remember Kirwan in Bally K.
    The father of one of the Bosh authors is frequently in blog land, known as Yorkshire Pudding or YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We joked the bomb scare was called in by a resident ticked off about the booking of the tennis ball machine. It's funny, as I was leafing through Bosh, I assumed they were Americans, until I looked them up and realized they are English. I read YP occasionally and didn't know that!!

      Delete
  6. Salted caramel apple crumble and custard sounds amazing!! Off to take a look at that recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try those cherry crisp bars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly, what an abundant week you had! I hope you're enjoying a restful weekend and have an equally lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your wonderful and inspiring week. I like learning about nivinngajuliaat from that exhibit you attended. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your weeks are always so busy! I'm glad the booster didn't suck too much, and I love seeing all the art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved all the exhibits, especially the textiles. Glad you checked out BOSH, I've found quite a few recipes from them. I'm going to add Americans to my watch list (almost as long as my reading list!). I too didn't know that YP was a Bosh father!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.