Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Tuesday Treasures


I cannot find out who/what Glen Baillie was. I did find a Toronto police officer by that name who died in 2020, but I believe the lane has been named since the 1880s.
I am leaning towards it being a Scottish place name since the houses were built for English workers.

Walking along Spadina Avenue between College and Dundas streets, it is easy to miss the slip between two tall red-brick buildings that leads into Glen Baillie Place, a tiny residential oasis behind all the clamour of Chinatown. Down the alleyway, which is marked by the smell of food wafting from nearby noodle restaurants and dumpling shops, a surprisingly wide street appears. It’s lined on both sides by cottages that were built for English construction workers around 1888. The ones to the south are brick, with arched porticos, and the ones to the north have vinyl siding with pitched shingle roofs. In the gap between, kids bounce basketballs on the asphalt.





5 comments:

  1. ...I like the mix of styles of the rowhouses, something to preserve! Tanks Jackie, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting neighborhood!
    Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/01/seen-on-blue-ridge-parkway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your pics of Toronto. I guess every big city has a Chinatown. I would love to eat some of the noodles and dumplings that are served here one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How colorful and fun! I think your quest of looking up the history for all the names is a wonderful one -- what a neat way to learn even more about your beautiful City -- thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.