Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Olde Bakery


Ingersoll ON

January 2022 - Toronto ON

This was Saturday's weather warning.


Shawn Mendes' latest video has Toronto as the backdrop.


It looks like our "modified" step 2 lockdown will not be ending as planned on January 26...


We were promised a snow storm and we got one!


The kids were supposed to go back to school on Monday but that didn't happen.

This is what it looked like on Sunday night.


Monday morning when I looked out. Note that yellow truck going eastbound into Toronto. It was about 8:30.


9:54 yellow truck


They closed the Gardiner around 10, the DVP was also closed to enable getting the cars stuck in snowbanks out of the way - note the red car stuck going westbound. Westbound will also close. They are allowing cars to reverse and go down the on ramp.
Red Car will soon be plowed in.


Yellow truck still there, he did get out and walked around at one point.

Westbound plows - westbound not yet closed
Red Car was plowed in by them as you can see in the right bottom of the photo


10:49 note yellow trick, cars turning around 


Sand truck following plow


Police helping out, pushing cars. We still have no idea why nothing is moving



Cars have reversed in most cases, trucks can't


11:40 They have gone!


All gone except the white van, several police cruisers trying to help her get going


Now what was the problem?? I found these photos on Facebook taken by a resident in our building who lives in a unit facing east.


Remember the Red Car? Someone took this photo from another building as other drivers help him shovel out.


And this was the day's ending.



I noticed that our dishwasher had a puddle of water in the bottom. John drained a bucket from the bottom, we cleaned it. I contacted a appliance repair company and he came on Tuesday. This dishwasher was here when we moved in, 10 years ago, He confirmed it was 27 years old but it was GE American built. Seems motor is gone, replacement discontinued. Either ways, the floor was put in after the dishwasher so would entail breaking the tiles to get it out. So we will be washing dishes by hand for a while as we decide if we are ready to do a kitchen reno. The fridge, washer and dryer were also here when we moved in so we have got our money's worth out of them. I will start a story board of wants and needs.

Wednesday John had an appointment downtown.





 We decided we should tackle some put off items. Move stove to clean, clean cutlery drawer (declutter some knives). Continue cleaning kitchen drawers and get rid of and organize stuff. Clean some windows. Oh, well, the best intentions...

Make gluten free baguettes, we used the same bread flour as I used for the puff pastry and had the same problems, just not sticky enough. She has a video on her website so it was easy to see ours was not sticky like hers. We ordered another gluten free bread flour on Amazon.

By Thursday temperatures had plummeted into the -15 C feeling like -23 C during the day turning all that snow into icy concrete.



WOO HOO I finished our 2021 Year of Lockdowns recap.




COOKING


Saturday roast turkey breast, homemade gravy, roast potatoes, mashed cauliflower and turnip.

Sunday short ribs slow cooker stew 

Monday hot turkey sandwiches and peas

Tuesday leftover stew, remaining peas and I made some colcannon

Wednesday Spanish chicken thighs and chorizo with the gluten free bagette

Thursday salmon, braised cabbage, mashed cauliflower with mustard sauce

Friday steak frites 

WATCHING

Non-Stop 2014 Liam Neeson, suspense thriller, entertaining.


Lost Bullet 2020 action thriller, French, cross between Fast and Furious and The Fugitive, I see a sequel coming




End of Watch 2012 action drama, friendship between cops, reality of gangs in LA, dark underbelly of life




Destroyer 2018 "neo-noir crime drama", Nicole Kidman like you've never seen, bank heist


We watched John Wick part 2 and 3. I couldn't count how many were killed, loved the Continental Hotel (their club), loved seeing Taylor from Billions. Part 4 soon to come.

Pencil kill scene


Nobody 2021 American action thriller film and stars Bob Odenkirk, Connie Nielsen, RZA, Christopher Lloyd, and Aleksey Serebryakov, and follows a bored family man who, after his house gets robbed, returns to his dangerous former life, which ultimately makes him the target of a vengeful drug lord.


READING


I FINALLY finished The Madness of Crowds that I had mentioned last week. It took me forever as it was so boring.

I needed to read something different so I started the third in the series Fallen Angel.

18 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at the soup and gaped at the traffic snarly snowmageddon. Many, many reminders of life in Toronto in those blizzards and driving. Well captured.
    You might enjoy a series I'm watching on Acorn called "A Place Called Home". What captivates me most is an old woman who has all the power but she's not the black villain of Hollywood as she has many redeeming characteristics but she is a master manipulator. Reading Wayne Johnston's latest. A mighty tome, could have been edited down by 2/3 I'd say.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, because of the lake effect, Toronto does not get many blizzards so traffic is hairy when it does!
      I will check this series out.
      I don't know Wayne Johnston, I am just googling him at the moment.

      Delete
  2. It's below zero here too in the mornings but it climbs up to about 20 during the day. Bummer on the dishwasher setting off a snowball effect in the kitchen. Wow on the highway photos. Bummer on the reading. Your meals look so warming and perfect for the weather you've been getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the dishwasher...still thinking about what to do. Washing dishes isn't that bad. Will prob re-do kitchen at some point this year.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful birds-eye recount of early traffic snarl. Sometimes that's all that's happening in our lives...weather and how we can react to it! Love hearing about your food and entertainment too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who lived in the same house for over 40 years, and her wall oven could only be replaced by a complete kitchen remodel because the size was no longer standard. She sold the house and bought a new condo where she's very happy. Too bad you can't do that to get a new dishwasher.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a perfect solution if only we hadn't already downsized to a condo!

      Delete
  5. It must be fun to watch the freeway shenanigans as long as you can do so from inside and not have to go on to your balcony.
    Get a new dishwasher and the broken tiles will spur you on to get the kitchen redone.
    I've stolen your bookery sandwich board sign for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just played my first game of Wordle- I can see why it's so addictive. You sure got a lot of snow- stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had reheat Turkey Breast for dinner. I been craving a turkey sandwich with cranberries.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. Those snow pictures of the freeway are my worst nightmare. I would be the person stuck on the road for hours.

    My friend and I are hoping to do coffee outside here next week. I can see that's not an option for you!

    You definitely need to get some new reading material. No one should be reading a boring book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great captures of traffic on the snow day. The I before E board made me laugh. Thank you for linking up with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The soup-popsicle photo made me laugh. I usually have to microwave everything for extra seconds because my house is always freezing in winter. Food gets cold really fast. I'm glad I wasn't driving in that storm! I'd be the one holding up traffic. I drive at granny speed in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any place that has I heart Chocolate in their window gets my vote. I was amazed by the snow and how it stalled your traffic. It's pretty sad when that happens. Your shots and those of your neighbors show how devastating that storm was for driving. I'll join you for Steak Fries any day. I loved the I before E sign. Keith could have brought those sleighs with him to Toronto this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine living with that kind of snow. It's so foreign to us here.

    I am playing Wordle. It gets the brain going first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The snow amounts are incredible! I like the photos. Totally sucks about your dishwasher.
    A few nights ago I finished the first book in the DI Callanach series, me having started with book 7. Already bought the next 3 books.

    Recently watched the series 19-2 set in Montreal & enjoying it. We only have 2 episodes to go to finish the series ( only 4 seasons).

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.