Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Sunday Stroll around SMA

January 2016 - San Miguel de Allende Mexico

Sunday we set out for the Arts and Craft Market at Instituto Allende.


I bought a couple of cushion covers from this man.










 The show continued in the lane beside the institute. I did buy a Frida ring here.





I spotted this painting inside a restaurant near the Instituto.


Our rather loose plan was now to walk into town with no particular destination in mind.


Popped into this great fabric store that also sold aprons, place mats and shirts.


I wanted to go back to the Bella Artes as I was looking for a specific sculpture. Detailed blog to come.


One of the towers of the la Concepcion church. I will take you inside on another visit.




Back on Insurgentes, ice cream?


Sunday busy outside La Salud.


John declares it is crevasa time so we stop in a local restaurant and have micheladas and guacamole.
Sign for the ladies room.



Back outside and they are lined up outside Gralia's as usual. it is funny as this was our first meal out in SMA and there was no line up. At the time we didn't realize that Gralia is a really big Mexican star.


Another shot of San Francisco.


Back around by the Jardin where the Art Walk too place yesterday.


Not sure what this food stand was selling but it was definitely attracting customers.


We take a quiet street and start our descent.




Street art.






As we reach the end of the street we both suddenly realize where we are ending up, by the Parque Benito Juarez which we had seen when we took the trolley tour. We entered and it was quiet with artists displaying their works along the pathways.





But then we came to a section containing all kinds of potted plants!


 I had plans to come here on February 2nd as I had read about the Día de la Candelaria (Candlemas Day). This religious holiday marks the 40th day after the birth of Jesus. Special masses involve the blessing of seeds for fertility and candles, representing the light of the world.



In San Miguel, Candlelaria is the unofficial beginning of spring and it's become famous for the plant flower sales held in Juarez Park.

But it was in full "spring" on this Sunday. Dozens of vendors line the walkways of the park, selling everything imaginable for the garden.



Carved trees.


 All kinds of items for sale.





Instant restaurants appeared.


 And then as we reached the heart of the park everything multiplied, sounds, plans, people and noise!!



Starter plants in beer cans.



La musica!!



People stroll the paths planning the year's plantings. Old men with wheelbarrows scurry about, carrying bedding plants and bougainvilleas, terra cotta planters and potting soil, to the cars and trucks parked on the street.









As an ex-gardener it was very painful not to be able to buy anything!!! We left, empty-handed. Grabbed a cab and headed for some groceries.
Our walk took us around 8,000 steps.



Badge for Travel Photo Thursday, Budget Travelers Sandbox
I'm posting over at The Budget Travelers' Sandbox 

West Metro Mommy Reads


Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy





Our World Tuesday Graphic

Our World Tuesday

A Hole In My Shoe
The Weekly Postcard

12 comments:

  1. Music, food, crafts, plants! Wow. What a market -- it's like going to a festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fabulous place to walk around, All that colour and so much warmth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of colourful offerings around the market!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me want to explore more of Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful town. I love a good marketplace, and I love taking portraits of vendors. Just love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that a lot of artists live in SMA - now wonder there is so much to buy at the markets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beautiful photos were just what I needed to see on this dreary, drizzly Pacific Northwest day! I'm looking forward to your future post about the Concepcion church, along with more lovely photos of the area.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must find a way to visit this town! Colorful!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/02/penny-parker-klostermann-there-was-old.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an event! I love arts and crafts fairs, and seeing everything they have to offer. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love events like this! I want one of those chairs in the third photo, and some of those blankets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I am so impressed by the color everywhere. It is so vivid. You must have been on sensory overload. Thanks for taking us along on your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I comment on the colors every week, but they truly are extraordinary....and I'm *very* jealous of that blue sky right now!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.