- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, onion, carrot, salt and pepper and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color. Add stock and bring to boil.
Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. With an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and then replace the lid back on the pot.