Saturday, March 18, 2023

McGinty's

 Linking up at Marg at The Intrepid Reader
March 2023 - Toronto ON
2022 - Meaford ON


Saturday, or PJ day.
My other two "trees" arrived, however, it was very windy and none of the trees could withstand it. So now we are on the hunt for heavy (read cheap) pots that won't topple.





We swapped out two cupboards so the tea/coffee stuff will be over the coffee pots and the canned goods are next to the stove.
I worked on my embroidery.

Sunday we slept in and then realized we had also lost an hour due to clocks "springing" forth!
John had to hustle to met a buddy at 11 for lunch (Piper's Pub) and then they went to the annual men's golf league registration.

I worked on cleaning up the CDs we had used as backups. I had stopped doing this a few months ago and the old laptop (that has a CD reader) and the CDs had sat on a dining room chair along with my old laptop for the last 3 months! 
I also got rid of some more photos.

It was a pretty quiet week with the kitchen almost finished. The bits and pieces should get done next week, the contractor has been off this week for spring break.

My view on Monday morning.


Monday the stone guys came!




More cleanup.

Tuesday the plumber came to hook up the sink and dishwasher! I have a sink! AND a dishwasher!


Oops forgot to take off the sticky paper for the photo.


Next steps, install the kickplates, electrical, paint.


More cleanup.

John went to Metro to pick up some groceries and stuff then he used the golf simulator for a couple of hours. He is looking at getting new clubs.

Wednesday the cleaning lady came. we went out for a burger and stopped into Homesense 
but didn't buy anything.
I had bought a gluten free artisan bread course last month so I finally took it today. I enjoyed it, and now have his super duper secret recipe that we are not allowed to share. I learned a few tricks. I think I would take more of these courses.
There are also some good recipes on her site.

Thursday I went out, waiting for the bus, the lake was shimmering and most of the snow is gone.



Winners, $ store and I didn't buy anything again! I did get groceries at Longo's. 
Unheard of, gluten free pasta on sale for the same price as regular!


I had ordered some baking tools that came today.


We also ordered a couple of mats for the kitchen sink to prevent scratches. The ones I selected don't have a hole.






Friday, St. Patrick's Day and it rained all day. John used the golf simulator.
 I poked around, packed up some stuff for charity, rearranged some kitchen décor.

So far this is how the kitchen project went.

WORK SCHEDULE DATE 

Feb 27/28 demolition 2 day work  NOISE  - ACTUAL Took 2 days (8-9 hrs) Zoran and Goran

Mar 2 plumber- ACTUAL Iqbal 3 hrs

Mar 3 Zoran checked plumber work and did some measurements

Mar 6/7 install cabinets 2 day work NOISE - ACTUAL Mar 6 1 day Justin 2 men. Eric tile measured

Mar 7 ACTUAL - Zoran/Goran installed microwave, leveled floor for dishwasher/grout 4 hrs

Mar 13-17 install counters 2 day work - ACTUAL Mar 13 install 2 hours 2 men

Mar 13 -17 install new sink/dishwasher 1 day work - ACTUAL Mar 14 Iqbal 5 hrs

TO DO
Install kickplates
Electrical
Replace vent exhaust
Remove blue plastic on cabinet by fridge
Paint - including a piece of quarter round (d/w)


Appliances moved to final spots.



COOKING

Saturday slow cooker corned beef, Brussel sprouts and boiled potatoes for St. Patrick Day/Week.
This was the first time I did corned beef in the slow cooker and it was the best one I've made, normally I find them dry and hard.

Sunday BBQ chicken and coleslaw.

Monday hamburger stew in crockpot.

Tuesday salmon and coleslaw. I made a bread in the bread maker using a recipe that I like with Cup4Cup flour.



Wednesday breaded pork chop, mashed potatoes and beans.

Thursday chicken divan.

Friday STEAK! loaded baked potato.


WATCHING





We watched Memory with Liam Neeson. Alex Lewis (Liam Neeson) is an expert assassin with a reputation for discreet precision. Caught in a moral quagmire, Alex refuses to complete a job that violates his code and must quickly hunt down and kill the people who hired him before they and FBI agent Vincent Serra (Guy Pearce) find him first. Alex is built for revenge but, with a memory that is beginning to falter, he is forced to question his every action, blurring the line between right and wrong.

No Sudden Move 2021 In 1954 Detroit, small-time criminals are hired to steal a document. When their heist goes horribly wrong, their search for who hired them -- and for what purpose - sends them wending through all echelons of the race-torn, rapidly changing city.
This has an incredible lineup of stellar actors, amazing 1950s cars and costumes. It is a complicated plot that requires your attention and you will find yourself saying, ah, a few times.


READING

I read Her Dark Past while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was as good as some of her others. It wasn't very difficult to figure out the plot twist.

No Gluten No Problem half the book is about celiac disease. Note it has 2/5 stars consistently on GoodReads.

Julia's Kitchen Wisdom was a joy to flip through. Simple, straightforward. 
Julia Child describes the focus of the book thus (Page ix): So often you can be in the midst of cooking and you just can't remember whether that leg of lamb should roast in a 325 degree or a 350 degree oven. . .This book aims to give quick snappy answers to many of these questions."
In her chowder recipe she suggests blending crackers or bread crumbs into the onions to thicken the chowder.



22 comments:

  1. Wow! The kitchen is looking GREAT. I bet you can't wait to have it all over! I'll have to look for Julia's Kitchen Wisdom. Sounds like a good book to have on hand. Love the look of your baking supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on The Curry Guy -- I'll check him out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It rained here for St Patrick's day as well. There is an Irish restaurant/oub opning in a neighboring town and their grand opening was yesterday. Glad the rain held off until their party. the food was free as the licences didn't come though in time and they couldn't sell it.

    I just finished a Maggie O'Farrell book and am deep into American Wife. Thanks for suggesting London Kills, we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London Kills was great, I didn't make the Full Monty connection until you mentioned it.

      Delete
  4. Remodeling is stressful — you seem to be handling it well! Good luck with completing all the steps and enjoying the new kitchen.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We survived! The worst was not having water in the kitchen!

      Delete
  5. Pork a lot cheaper than beef here.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen looks great. Thank you for your weekend coffee share, and happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray to having both a sink an a dishwasher! The kitchen is really coming along nicely!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kitchen looks great! I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Her Dark Past does sound interesting; I can see why you might have picked it up. I'm not familiar with the author - what's one you liked better? Have a terrific week and hope your remodel winds up soon.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead Cold and Cold Blood were part of a series she wrote that I really liked due to the female protagonist.

      Delete
  10. Your kitchen looks GREAT!! You're getting so close to being done - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had dinner with friends on Thursday night. We figured Friday night would be a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen is coming along beautifully!!!! I am oooing and ahhing over the thought of having a dishwasher.

    I need that Julia Child book!!!! How brilliant to crackers or breadcrumbs with the onions to thicken clam chowder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thrilled to finally have a dishwasher again!!

      Delete
  13. Your kitchen is beautiful. The light color makes the space feel very big. I like that in a kitchen.

    I think I need all of your baking tools. I really don't have much. I should look around for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you we do like the white, a big change after the black counters and mirrors. Amazon makes it too easy to buy gadgets!

      Delete
  14. Your kitchen is really coming together. That's going to be a fun place to create delicious food!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.