Saturday, March 25, 2023

Cream and Sugar

 Linking up at Marg at The Intrepid Reader
March 2023 - Toronto ON

Yonge St. Toronto ON


Saturday John decided to make French toast from the bread I made last week. It has been years since we had French toast!



My new dish towels arrived and my sheets finally arrived as well.



I finished my embroidery and started another.





Monday John did a Costco run.

Tuesday John went to the golf simulator. I went downtown for a haircut. Some photos on the way.
CIBC



I took the subway up to Dundas Square to see a new mural (check back on Monday) and stopped into Winners and the $ store.

I walked back to the bus stop down Yonge St. (stopped in Homesense) and along Richmond until the construction drove me underground.
The origin of the house that is now the Senator Restaurant – the oldest restaurant in Toronto in continuous operation at the same location – can be traced back to the very first property survey that was prepared by the Town of York in 1836.




Massey Hall is reopened in all her glory. 


Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre



Going underground I came up in the Royal York Hotel and its spring display.



The contractor called when I got home to ask if he could drop by to finish a few items. He attached the kickplates and two of the electrical outlets and removed the last of the plastic. He will schedule the painting and replacing the exhaust vent.



John booked a repair person for our less than 1 year old LG fridge. They scheduled Friday and then said they wouldn't have the parts (they are assuming it needs parts) until Monday (Raoul between 2 and 5).


I had seen on Facebook that Highland Farms carried a large selection of gluten free products so we headed to their Mississauga store on Wednesday. It is huge, look at the number of checkouts, no self checkout here. So big, in fact we lost our car as we left by the wrong door.



This is the produce section.



Cheese section.


All the meat is fresh, you order from the butcher. I don't have the entire length of the counter in this photo. Meat prices are excellent.
There are products from all around the world, although the owners are Italian so there is a large amount of Italian products.
There are some things that you can find cheaper, you need to know your prices.


"Marilyn Monroe" towers.


Some new signage unveiled in 2022.

Cooksville, which has an estimated population of 36,000, used to be a central crossroads hub in Mississauga and Peel Region. At one time, it housed city hall, a central library branch and fire department and two school board offices. However, as Mississauga grew, it became a bit of an afterthought in the city. The Vision Cooksville project, which was completed in 2016, laid out a revitalization strategy that was predicated on making Cooksville a transit hub with walkable streets, more open spaces and parks.

The sign will have four themes that will be displayed throughout the year, they are holiday, summer, fall and historic Cooksville. The community initially formed in the early 19th century, adopting its name in 1836.


Excited to try the pizza crust and the baguettes. At the back are butter tarts.


We headed downtown to meet John's son who is in town on business. We chose Modus based on our lunch there last summer.




Delicious hot salty bread and I heard that the hot olives were good too.


John had halibut, rapini and fingerling potatoes. We shared a Caesar's salad.


Joel had the zuppa di mare - seafood soup. he started with grilled shrimp diavolo.


I had the salmon.


Dessert was tiramisu and a flourless chocolate cake.


In the Uber on the way home.


Thursday John went to the golf simulator and I took a quick run to Longo's.

Sunset by John.


While we were in Mississauga earlier I noticed how many Middle Eastern grocers there were and wondered if we could fine lahmajouns.
Lahm bi ajeen (AKA laham b'ajeen, lahmajun, or lahmajoun) is usually described as Middle Eastern meat pizza, lahmacun (pronounced LA-ha-MA-chewn) is a Turkish street food also known as Turkish pizza.
I found The Turkish Mart that is very close to us so we headed there on Friday. I thought they were frozen but couldn't find them so I pulled up the word "lahmacun" and asked the owner/manager. He says "what's your background that you can't find them?" I said Irish, he said "what does an Irish girl know of these?" We said we used to get them in Montreal, and he said, oh yes. He took us to them, they were fresh! 
Package of 6 $10.99!


We ran a couple of more errands and came home for lunch - see above!
I cleaned out the vegetable bins in the fridge.  
We are expecting freezing rain for most of tomorrow.



COOKING

Saturday roast pork (was in freezer) Irish (mushy) peas and mashed potatoes

Sunday slow cooker corned beef mushy peas and colcannon (with leftover mashed and Brussel sprouts cooked in bacon fat).
I made an Irish soda bread using Chef Alina's recipe. 




Monday rotisserie chicken nachos.

Tuesday hot chicken sandwiches and broccolini

Wednesday out for dinner

Thursday Szechwan pork and green beans

Friday steak, fries (great) with broccolini and chimichurri



WATCHING

The Mauritanian is a 2021 legal drama film based on the memoir of Mohamedou Ould Slahi, a Mauritanian man who was held for fourteen years (from 2002 to 2016) without charge in the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, a United States military prison.

We started the series Perry Mason.

Saw the finale for Your Honor season 2 - we didn't like the ending so hopefully there is a season 3.

We rewatched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 2017 and enjoyed it again.


READING

Reading Don't Believe Her, another by Jane Heafield. I'm enjoying it, it is told in the first person, Lucy and SIL Mary, following Tom's (husband and brother) disappearance. The tension between the two women kept the story going.

20 comments:

  1. I'll check out the book Don't Believe Her. We finiihised London Kills, thanks for that recommendation! We started No Offense and it's hilarious. Lots of crime solving but some dark humor injected and we just love it. Our library has three seasons.

    Love your kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we are loving the kitchen, just need the painting done. I will have to look for No Offense.

      Delete
  2. That view of the CN Tower is a showstopper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Highland Farms store looks amazing.
    One year old and the fridge has problems. That is not good at all.
    You must be relieved the kitchen is all but finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store is amazing, and so quiet! We will go back in a week or so. I need my fridge fixed before I can shop.
      I agree about the fridge, we are not happy but at least they seemed responsive...

      Delete
  4. I'd love to stop by Massey Hall and the Royal York spring display. Your kitchen looks great. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. French toast does sound good.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. French toast... I think we call that "poor knights". My Grandma made them sometimes.
    Cool embroideries. Your kitchen is wonderful! And that store, wow.
    Love the sign of the city. And all the yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor knights, I had to Google it and it led me to this. German toast, eggy bread, French-fried bread, gypsy toast, Poor Knights of Windsor, Spanish toast, nun's toast, and pain perdu which means “lost bread” in French. I remember my Irish mother calling it eggy bread and I was aware of pain perdu.
      That store was amazing!

      Delete
  7. We have french toast semi regularly but it has been a while! Your dinner's out look delicious and your new kitchen looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm French toast. I haven't had it in years, even though I love it. The kitchen looks beautiful! I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 2 eggs left and some ciabatta bread! Should I have my first=ever attempt at making French toast????

    Your kitchen is a dream!!!! I love it!

    Drooling over all the food.

    Pining for all the historic buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, make French toast! Only a few more sleeps for you and Marilyn!!

      Delete
  10. Highland Farms looks like a great place to shop. I wonder if there are any stories here in the US.

    Your kitchen is stunning. It's wonderful to have a place you spend so much time be so beautiful.

    In a lovely little diner where we ate breakfast today, I ordered French toast. It was delicious. And now I want to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Highland Farms are a local small chain here in Toronto. French toast is such a great way to use up any stale bread!

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed walking though the city though your pictures. That looks like a really nice grocery store that would have everything. The french toast looks good along with the other foods. I've not made french toast in a while. Karen #Weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOWOWOWOWOW on the kitchen! It looks like it will be a pleasure to work in. And love your embroidery

    ReplyDelete
  13. With all your pictures, I feel as though I've been there! But I have to say that grocery store looks exhausting. And, French Toast is excellent when you have a bit of extra day old bread.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.