Saturday, October 29, 2022

Sandwich Special


October 2022 - Toronto ON

Queen St. W Toronto

A quiet (again) weekend at home. We even slept in on Sunday!
Cook, chores, read, watch, laundry, embroider, football, repeat.
John used the golf simulator for a couple of hours.

No wonder traffic was so backed up Saturday evening! "Potential explosive device found at Billy Bishop airport - 2 in custody." Flights were diverted.
Several condos had to be evacuated as well. I had seen the "bus" ambulance going that way early evening.
Billy Bishop is a regional airport located downtown on the Toronto Islands. The yellow line is the Gardiner Expressway.


From our balcony as the sunset set.



Monday elections - Not surprisingly, John Tory was re-elected for the third time. 
We were so happy to see Mark Grimes defeated after five terms by Community health promoter Amber Morley, whom we voted for.
“I represent the diversity of this city; I’m a woman. I’m a racialized person. I’ve grown up low-income,” Morley said. “We don’t seem to crack this nut of poverty reduction. Our voices need to be at the table.”




Covid vaccines - Canada


Waiting for the bus at our entrance.





Another quiet week. 
Tuesday morning


Tuesday - We both got our 5th Covid shots at FCP, the fastest injection ever! From there we looked around their food court but nothing appealed. 
We headed to Commerce Court just before the lunch hour onslaught and had Koha Pacific Kitchen, spicy chicken bao bun for me (next time anything but chicken) and John had the beef bowl with sweet potato noodles.
Wednesday I ran to Longo's. I took this from the bus.


John headed to golf but they were rained out so he went for coffee with the guys. He started swimming again.
Friday John did get to golf.

Finger nail moon.




WATCHING
I re-watched season 1 of Smother and finished season 2 as well. It is an Irish thriller drama series.

We finished season 5 of The Handmaid's Tale, wow! We decided we needed to binge-watch it from the beginning so spent some time doing that this week. We decided we had not actually watched all of the seasons!

COOKING
On the weekend we had breakfast for lunch. Steak and eggs and blueberry pancakes.

Saturday crockpot pork loin mashed cauliflower and potatoes, mashed turnips. I love my multi-cooker crockpot although not happy with the letters wearing off (another story). I love that I can brown meat, slow cook and then make the gravy in the same pot, rather than dirtying three dishes! I had taken a pan out to make the gravy then realized I could do it right in my crockpot.

Sunday chicken wings and fries

Monday I made chili



Tuesday leftover chili. We tried the dinner buns from Kinnikinnick that we ordered. Not bad, I wrapped them in foil to heat up.

Wednesday pan fried haddock and mashed cauliflower, turnip, potatoes

Thursday air fryer chicken tenders with honey mustard dip and potato salad

Friday steak, baked potato and sauteed onions, mushrooms and peppers.


READING


I'm on my third Charlie Donlea book The Girl Who Was Taken, and it just isn't grabbing my attention like the other two did

21 comments:

  1. I am on the list for the Charlie Donlea book you mentioned previously. Funny you mention the book series as, for awhile, I had a bad habit of reading the third book in a series first. I did that with Tana French, Faithful Place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't typically bother me to read out of order.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I love your menus. It is so hard to think about what to cook day in and day out. You have a nice doable assortment here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having trouble commenting. I enjoyed your post. You may never know that, though. :) Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo from the bus, of a third floor balcony is pretty amazing. You must have been on a raised highway, which seem to be all over the place there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was on the Gardiner, a raised highway through the city.

      Delete
  5. What a knockout sunset.
    Ms Morley has smiling eyes.
    Your building's entrance is very colourful as is the tree view from your apartment.
    It is very annoying to find out after reading a book that it is the fourth in a series of six and you have to go back to one for proper character development and history. However, it doesn't make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facing north west we get great sunsets, although units on this side are less expensive than facing the lake. But at night, all you see is black! I wouldn't mind facing the city though.

      Delete
  6. I love my crock pot too, but it's just an ordinary single cooker. I haven't heard of the multi cooker, but am sure I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your photos! The ones you take from your apartment have the most exhilarating views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chili close-up is neat! Have a good week.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that, it was John who commented that it needed a photo.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a nice week. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photos, sounds like a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when I read a book and don't realize it is part of a series until it ends on a cliff hanger! Bah. Have a happy week. My Sunday Salon post

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic sunset! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Good job, Canada, with your Covid vaccines.

    Our favorite suppers are breakfasts-for-suppers. I'd rather eat breakfast than any other meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sunset! And all the autumn colourson your page. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.