Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!
- tessera - noun. A small tablet (as of wood, bone, or ivory) used by the ancient Romans as a ticket, tally, voucher or means of identification. "Each tessera is worth a meager year's supply of grain and oil for one person." (Hunger Games).
- legerdemain - noun. Sleight of hand, a display of skill or adroitness. "When you close your eyes, as I did for a moment, you can see them clearly. It's a kind of auditory legerdemain." (Clara Callan)
- Sal Hepatica - noun. I knew this must be some sort medicine but had never heard of it. "The poor night's sleep left me nervous and unsteady, so I took some Sal Hepatica and stayed in my cabin for a good part of today." (Clara Callan)
- futuity - noun. Something foolish or stupid. archaic : imbecility, dementia. "Perhaps I just realized the sheer fatuity of what I was trying to do." (Clara Callan)
- bruited - verb. To spread news of; repeat. " It will be bruited about the village as another example of my eccentric character, I suppose." (Clara Callan)