Friday, May 5, 2023

Daily Ritual

 Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

May 2023 - Toronto ON

King St West Toronto ON

Saturday we were up bright and early for the free hot breakfast provided at the Brockville Hampton Inn. We headed to Cornwall (an hour away) for the funeral mass. When we came out of church it was pouring and everyone scattered to their cars. We were left wondering what to do? Was there a reception? We tried phoning John's sisters and even dropped by their houses but no one was around so we decided to head home. It is a five hour drive and it was pouring most of the way.

We took a break at The Big Apple in Colbourne.





Two gluten-free products made the trip back with us.


Sunday we just begged out and relaxed, it was still raining.

Monday and the rain continued. After John used the golf simulator we headed out.
I have been getting great deals from a local butcher store but wanted to see their meat first. We were sold and will order the next time.



The flank steak was $20 for 2.5 lbs and the pork chops were $14.
I cut the flank in half and it gave us two nights' meals. It was really good meat.


I also wanted to try The Portuguese Chicken Guys. The chicken was $20, pricy by grocery store rotisserie chicken comparisons, it was very good. The coleslaw was meh.



As first-time customers he gave us two Portuguese tarts, these were the best I've had!


Tuesday I went to Longo's as we needed vegetables. The city is in hockey frenzy as the Maple Leafs advanced to the semi-finals and the first game was tonight against the Tampa Bay Panthers (we lost twice). They have extended the tailgate premises down another city block for this playoff.


Getting set up.



I finally got a glimpse of the I Hate Rubber Boots guy, a local quirky icon known for his wardrobe about town. 
He's a character who is often photographed and has been the inspiration behind local art, cartoons and even Halloween costumes.

"He says that he first began wearing (and loathing) rubber boots as part of a job; when he initially started wearing the ensemble recreationally, he was worried about the derision he’d potentially attract".
"As time passed he realized that Torontonians really aren't fazed by much, and he now enjoys and appreciates the attention... He's really representative of a wholesomely bizarre and borderline-zen aspect of a city that is undergoing rapid gentrification."
Apparently, Rubber Boots Guy has amassed quite a collection of clothing bearing his signature phrase over the years — including a face mask — and has multiple pairs of rubber boots, including some hip-waders that he's "especially fond of."


I found these local heirloom tomatoes and they were delicious!







Wednesday, golf day but still raining. We tried a new (to us) diner as part of our dining quest.

The restaurant opened in the 1960s as a tavern on the old service road of Ronson Drive when Highway 401 construction was still underway. During those early days, it was the local watering hole and feeding grounds for those working on the highway.

 


When the highway opened, the restaurant turned into a diner and its retro interiors haven't changed much in more than 50 years.
The checkered floor, red vinyl booths, mint green countertops and swivel stools, albeit with a crack or two, remain intact.
 

It probably won't come as a surprise that the restaurant has been used as a film set for movies (Kodachrome), TV shows (Suits, American Gods) and even a few commercials including one for Coca-Cola over the years.
 

What are the odds that someone from our building would show up here? A family we know to say hello to came in right after us!!!



Golf was cancelled. I went shopping and found two tops ($15 each) at Winner's. My BFF saw the same tops in another Winners at $39.
I also got John some trunks at $17. Good deals.

Thursday was a significant shopping day, starting at Highland Farms.


Quite the gluten-free election.


Next stop for black pudding, rashers and sausages, and some shortbread.



Then a new stop, Adonis, a full-range supermarket emphasizing Middle Eastern items, plus prepared foods, pastry & baked goods.

Lamb spleen? What does one do with this? Lamb Spleen is counted among the cuts of Lamb that require an acquired taste. Its flavor is lighter than the Liver and it is also considerably tougher.

I would try this as I like offal. I found some recipes for stuffing it.


Lamb's head, yes, it is a thing.


This was at Highland Farms, $0.99 a pound! I could not pass this up.


A new vegetable, celery root, for us.


I'm all set for my Coronation breakfast on Saturday!


Libretto's is our go-to pizza place, so we thought we would try their frozen pizzas from Highland Farm.


Friday, finally no rain, and John went to play golf. I headed to the Gardiner Ceramic Museum.


Annesley Hall is the all-female residence at Victoria College, University of Toronto, and is designated a National Historic Site of Canada.

Built in 1903 in the Queen Anne style, Annesley Hall is the first university residence built for women in Canada. Annesley Hall was home to the first woman to graduate from a Canadian medical school.


The Royal Ontario Museum, ROM, is across the street.





I came to see Homecoming which closes this weekend. I didn't care for it.


I spent some time roaming in the 19th and 20th-century ceramics collection.


I took a stroll along Bloor St. West. I really liked the spring decorations. But they were in the shade so I couldn't get a great full-on photo. 
Stopped into Winners and Homesense across the street and picked up some shirts for John and a tray for our bar.







COOKING

Saturday (after the drive home) steak frites.

Sunday roast pork, roast potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.

Monday Portuguese chicken, coleslaw, and beets, and I made cheddar cheese biscuits.

Tuesday stuffed flank steak mashed potatoes and buttered carrots.

Wednesday last night's leftovers.

Thursday panko oven-baked cod (I skipped the parmesan, we don't really enjoy it with fish), mashed celery root (with last night's mashed potato/carrot), and sauteed baby bok choy and tomato. The celery root didn't have much flavour.


Friday steak, garlic bread with fried mushrooms, onions and peppers.

WATCHING

I watched season 1 Bloodlands (library Hoopla), I thought I had seen or read it, but hadn't. It is a Northern Irish police procedural. I can't wait for the next two seasons.
 Thanks, Tina!

And here's one for you, Tina! The Shadow Line season 1 (library Hoopla), EXCELLENT! DISTURBING! RIVETING! SURPRISING!
The Shadow Line is about a murder investigated by both sides of the line – police and criminals – and the opposing methods they use to solve it. But the real line is the morality within each character and how far they will go before they cross it. It is also about a secret so monumental that, if it were ever revealed, the entire nation might collapse.

We took a short break from Empire to watch The Diplomat (damn you, leaving us hanging at the end of season 1!!!). 


READING


I am trying to get enthused about Echoland, as I don't know much about Ireland during World War II. Ireland was "neutral", however, my parents did talk about fuel and food shortages, in particular, I remember my mother talking about nylon stockings! She would paint a “seam” down the back of the leg with an eyebrow pencil.


9 comments:

  1. The I Hate Rubber Boots guy is funny! Glad you like Bloodlands. We just picked up season two at the library and will watch this week.
    I like the Banned book bag - I have to have it! Right now I am doing a puzzle with book photos and The Kite Runner is one of the featured books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good food at your house. May I come for dinner??? Have a great week, Jackie. You've inspired me to go to the Saturday Farmer's Market in Scottsdale. I've never been so I'd better get with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interior of that diner is amazing. I'm not surprised that it makes a good movie set.
    I love those giant birds among the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heirloom tomatoes truly look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many interesting things in your post. Love the birds in the decorations, but the thing that caught my eye the most is the portuguese tart. Now I could really do with eating one of those. Or maybe two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that book bag! Your post has made me hungry... I saved the baked Cod recipe and the tomato looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading about your week & seeing the pictures. I like the colorful birds in the flowers. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need that Portuguese tart!!!!

    Love the colorful birds in the meridians.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the strategies to fight book banners and the like that was mentioned at the library conference is to wear t-shirts and carry totes that express your views. I think I need to acquire some new bookish things.

    It is wonderful to see all the colorful flowers that are blooming in your part of the world, Jackie. It seems like it was just snowing there.

    Oh, that shortbread!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.