Saturday, May 20, 2023

Better English Cafe

 Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

May 2023 - Toronto ON

King St. West Toronto ON


Saturday I baked a gluten-free apple cake, I had to bake it for an additional thirty minutes, however, it turned out quite well.

Sunday and the usual housekeeping chores. We have an abundance of apples from the market on Thursday so I made fritters for breakfast and I made a salted caramel sauce for the apple cake.

Almost forgot to take this bad photo!


Monday's mural - Toronto Metropolitan University was taken last week.


John golfed and I went to pick up my repaired jewelry on Yonge St. so I visited some stores in the Eaton Centre and Dundas Square.

John took this on the golf course.


The Starbucks at the bus stop reopened on Friday! I tried the "white chocolate macadamia cream cold brew", meh, it was okay but I wouldn't bother with it again.
This store doesn't have any seating which is odd.




Sunset - we're still experiencing the smoke from the fires out west.



Tuesday and neither of us had plans so we decided on a day at home. We thought about going out for breakfast or lunch but there is plenty to eat at home (sounds like my mother).

The window guys dropped in to do the windows on the balconies, only units at the corner units have balconies. 



I made a breadmaker loaf. I also made ham salad for lunch. 
I also took the rest of the meat off the ham bone and used the bone to make soup stock. This is the 99-cent a lb ham I bought. I also have two bags of meat frozen.

I emptied the fridge doors as the handyman is coming to flip the doors this evening. This was not an easy job, it took John and the handyman an hour with much cussing but it got done.

Tuesday I posted more from the Gardiner Museum.

Wednesday John had his weekly golf game. I was undecided as it was not warm out and finally just went to Winners and Longo's for some asparagus along with steak, sausages and thick-cut bacon, all on special, and redeemed $10 of grocery credits.

Thursday John and his buddy had their annual Wooden Sticks golf and dinner outing.

I met a friend for coffee A friend cancelled a coffee date and she is still fighting a cold. So I decided to go to the Divine Dali exhibit at Brookfield Place in the financial district.


The Divina Dalí exhibit is considered to be the most creative total body of work by Salvador Dalí.



Dalí is recognized as one of the most important artists of the 20th century. Though he is mostly known for his surrealist paintings, he is also a sculptor, illustrator, filmmaker, and an accomplished writer. Dalí’s technical skill and precise craftsmanship shines through his body of work.
The Divina Dalí exhibit invites visitors to a multi-sensory experience of Italian writer Dante Alighieri’s “Divine Comedy,” known as one of the greatest literary works of all time. It includes 110 original pieces by Dalí and displays works through different mediums such as ink, watercolour, sculpture and illustration.
Divina Dalí is an immersive experience into Dante Alighieri’s poetic masterpiece, The Divine Comedy, through the lens of Salvador Dalí.



It took place in Brookfield Place.



I had a treat while I waited for the bus.



Friday we went to visit our friend who moved into a retirement home. We had the tour and played Scrabble (she won).

AND I got this! A summons to jury duty.






COOKING
Saturday lamb curry loosely using this recipe which marinated the lamb with yogurt and spices, I ad-libbed and added extra spices.

Sunday ham (great buy from Highland Farms) au gratin broccoli and potatoes

Monday Sunday's leftovers 

Tuesday ham, kale salad, beets, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes and fresh bread


Thursday John was out for dinner. I picked up sushi.



Friday steak, roasted balsamic asparagus and fries.

WATCHING

I was looking through CBC Gem streaming app and discovered I had not finished Crime, and I really enjoyed it.

CBC Gem has been promoting Harlots. This is not for the prudish! It has a lot of actors that I have seen in other productions. It is rather odd to see Lydia Quigley who played the older Princess Margaret in The Crown as a brothel owner!
Harlots is a British-American period drama television series inspired by The Covent Garden Ladies by British historian Hallie Rubenhold. The series focuses on Margaret Wells, who runs a brothel in 18th-century London and struggles to secure a better future for her daughters in an unpredictable environment.

I came across The Royal season 7 on TV and gave it a try. It's not bad, I've watched three episodes so far. Life was so very different, it is a good history lesson. There were so many different jobs that no longer exist like hospital porters, matrons, nurses that live in, nurses do not wear their uniforms outside, 
I do have a problem with the head nurse, Matron, as she reminds me of Camilla!
The music is fun and the costumes are fabulous. But I think one season will be enough for me.
The Royal is a British period medical drama. The series is set in the 1960s and focuses on the lives of the staff at the fictional "St Aidan's Royal Free Hospital", a National Health Service hospital serving the fictional rural seaside town of Elsinby and its surrounding area.

I watched Obsession mini-series that was so badly acted/written yet I had to see the outcome. So bad but so good! Such a stupid, pathetic man!

We both watched Stronger.
Stronger is a 2017 American biographical drama film based on the memoir of the same name by Jeff Bauman and Bret Witter. It follows Bauman, who loses his legs in the Boston Marathon bombings and must adjust to his new life.

We both enjoyed Rogue Agent a 2022 British mystery drama thriller film directed by Adam Patterson and Declan Lawn in their feature-length debut, from a screenplay the pair co-wrote with Michael Bronner based on the unpublished article "Chasing Agent Freegard" by Michael Bronner. James Norton portrays Robert Hendy-Freegard, a conman who tricked and convinced several people that he was an MI5 agent.

READING


I read The Younger Wife, and I enjoyed it until the rather annoying ending.

I managed to get a 7-day borrow of The House in the Pines and it totally gripped my attention.

I started Our Missing Hearts, also a 7-day read.



7 comments:

  1. I was laughing out loud over That's Amore. Doug kept asking me what I was laughing at but i was finihsing it before I showed him.
    I'm on hold at the library for The House in the Pines, looking forward to that. They still don't have Peter Robinson's last book so I may have to buy it. I'm reading the DCI Tom Raven series currently, so gar 3 books published and I pre-ordered book 4 for only $3.99.

    We are watching a series called 1883 and enjoying it. The library got me Silent Witness, which you recommened (thank you) and we'll start that next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! What a full week you've had! That Dali exhibit looks awesome! And thank you for the apple cake recipe! I'm recently GF and am always looking for new GF recipes that actually work (I trust you know what I'm talking about)! Can't wait to try this one :-) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never have received a jury notice, fortunately. Brookfield Place is an amazing interior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like Dali. His work always surprises me. Thanks for sharing this event.

    I stopped at a Starbucks in Houston the other day when I was early for an appointment, and I was dismayed to find it had no seating. There was a steady stream of cars at the drive-thru. Maybe this is a new Starbucks trend.

    Good luck with jury duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Dali exhibit sounds really cool. I jumped on the website to see if it's one of those that travels around the world or whatever, but it looks like it's only in your neighborhood, at least for now. I'll keep an eye out for it in case it does come here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like apple cake but it's been a while since I had it, I also love anything caramel. Your apple cake looks so good! I love Ham Salad but the only store that had one I liked stopped selling it. I'm going to try your recipe.

    I love your plants, so pretty!

    What kind of bread machine do you have? I want to get a new one. I love ham salad but only liked it from one store and they stopped selling it. I'll try your recipe.

    There is a Dali Museum near me that I've never been to. It's on the list of things for my daughter and I to do together.

    I've never gotten a summons for jury duty but my husband did one time years ago. He got excused because he was in a wheelchair.

    Stronger is on my list to watch. I love the photos of the sunset and the ceiling! That's Amore is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hee hee....at first I thought that was mashed potatoes and gravy, which of course course I think is yummy!!! Now an apple cake with caramel sauce sounds just as good. Yum. Love that. mural! Lamb curry sounds yummy. I got some lamb stew meat and have been thinking of ideas to use it for.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.