Saturday, April 8, 2023

The Kitchen

 Linking up at Marg at The Intrepid Reader


April 2023 - Toronto ON


The weekend passed in its usual way, chores and hobbies.
John bottled his wine. I did a first pass at cleaning the balcony. Shredded papers and put out a full bag of shredded paper.
My geranium flowered!


It was a pretty quiet, uneventful week being at the mercy of the fridge and repairmen.

Monday John used the golf simulator and I went to Longo's, $ store and Winners where I actually did find some lounging pants.

The fridge repairman was supposed to come but they called to say they were waiting on parts and it would be Thursday instead.
I was going out but then decided to make gluten free hot cross buns. A definite labour of love, and they were worth it!






Wednesday We were awakened by an incredible thunderstorm and they continued throughout the day.
We dropped off our taxes to the accountant (in the pouring rain) and then went to Highland Farms to pick up what we needed for Easter as my cousin and family are coming for lunch.
We can only buy what we need because of the fridge.





Thursday we waited for the fridge repairman, Peter. He came prepared and determined it was the fan and changed it. A few hours later, still not working properly. John filed a complaint on Friday morning. We wait again.....

Friday we got ready for company on Saturday. Everything was closed so nowhere to go.


COOKING

Saturday lemon parmesan Alfredo pasta, cheese biscuits

Sunday shepherds pie

Monday General Tso chicken 

Tuesday leftover shepherds pie

Wednesday crispy baked haddock and fries - note to self don't use the fine breadcrumbs.

Thursday chicken a la orange.

Friday steak green peppers mushrooms and onions

WATCHING
I started a series No Offence (thanks, Tina) through the library app, better than paying Acorn.
We caught up on Lucky HankPerry Mason, Accused, Three Pines and True Lies.

We also found an interesting series Rain Dogs 2023 BBC comedy drama. An unconventional love story between a working-class single mum, her young daughter and a privileged gay man. An extraordinary tale of a mother's love for her daughter, Rain Dogs explores a dysfunctional family on the fringes of society, attempting to go straight in a crooked world.

We started The Power, 2023 British science fiction drama series. The world of The Power is our world, but for one twist of nature. Suddenly, and without warning, all teenage girls in the world develop the power to electrocute people at will. It's hereditary, it's inbuilt, and it can't be taken away from them. Coming alive to the thrill of pure power: the ability to hurt or even kill by releasing electrical jolts from their fingertips, they rapidly learn they can awaken the Power in older women. Soon enough nearly every woman in the world can do it. And then everything is different.

Watched Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre 2023 Special agent Orson Fortune and his team of operatives recruit one of Hollywood's biggest movie stars to help them on an undercover mission when the sale of a deadly new weapons technology threatens to disrupt the world order.
Silly fun.


READING

I read Asking For It, it punches you in the gut.

I finished Watch Out for Her by a Toronto author. I enjoyed the story although I did think it was a little farfetched. None of the characters were likeable, not even the six year old!

I started Time to Die by Caroline Mitchell, a new to me Irish author. I also realized this is book two in a series. I am enjoying it. It is a paranormal serial killer police procedural.

11 comments:

  1. That Sheperd's Pie looks so good I could lick the screen! Ha! Glad you like No Offense, we thought it was well done. Don't read anything about the upcoming seasons though - Doug wanted to check something and got a huge spoiler so, yeah....don't google!

    I like checkng out your book suggestions and will try and find the three you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, won't check any!! We seem to have the same taste in books.

      Delete
  2. We got some thunder and lightning on Wednesday, but it mostly came down as an ice storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you really got hit with an ice storm! We had fabulous thunder and lightning.

      Delete
  3. It is hard to believe a relatively simple machine like a fridge can have such difficult to solve issues at one year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Andrew, it is such a pain. John said that on the latest call the repair guy would bring everything he needed, I responded, a new fridge????

      Delete
  4. We have moved from Unforgotten to Annika. Both are detective shows and both feature the same actor. We are coming to the end of Annika soon, so I'm not sure where I am going next.

    We've been in cloudy/too cool-for-us mode (temperatures in the 60s F, so you probably wouldn't even hunker down). I see the sun coming out today, so that's lovely.

    I'm amazed at how you have been able to cook without a working fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get back to Annika, as I really liked it. 60s F would be great and we will get that this week, it is supposed to be 22C or 72F on Wednesday!
      The fridge is not completely not working (what a sentence!). It is coldish but not enough for dairy and such. We have a freezer and small fridge in our pantry so we have that packed tight. I am enough of a skeptic that I did not empty those after either visit! When it was cold last week we could also put cooler bags on the balcony.

      Delete
  5. Your balcony and the geraniums are pretty! I've also started to get organised for the season at my balcony this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quiet week seemed to be rather full of things to do!
    Good luck with the repair frustrations.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need that Shepherd's Pie and the hot cross buns!

    What a pain about the refrigerator, and I'm having concerns about my own. The installation requirements say I need an outlet that takes a 3-prong plug and some kind of water connection??? The outlet next to where the fridge goes just has has two holes, not three, and I don't know how any kind of water hose is going to get over to the sink. This is stressing me out, man! LOL

    Rain Dogs sounds good and I see it's on HBO Max. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.