Saturday, April 23, 2022

Birds and Beans

 Linking up at Marg at The Intrepid Reader 

April 2022 - Lake Shore Blvd W Toronto ON


I'm very glad we went grocery shopping relatively early on Easter Saturday. The Longos (Maple Leaf Square) that we go to is located next to the ACC Scotiabank Arena (Raptors playing tonight/Maple Leafs hockey tomorrow).

Game 1 of the Toronto Raptors vs. Philadelphia 76ers playoff series is tonight and 
following a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the so-called “Jurassic Park” tailgate area has returned home to Scotiabank Arena. The outdoor space has seen thousands of Raptors fans cheer on the team during playoff runs of the past while watching games in real-time on a massive screen.


This year’s viewing party is a little different in that fans will need to obtain free mobile passes to enter Maple Leaf Square. Each guest can obtain as many as four passes which are available 24 to 48 hours before each confirmed game. Doors open at 3:30 PM for Game 1.

The Skydome Rogers Centre is down the street and the Blue Jays were playing this afternoon. The CN Tower and the Aquarium are next door, so the area was teeming with people.
These photos don't reflect the number of people milling about.



The Toronto FC soccer are playing Philadelphia tonight as well in the same area. Their stadium is just south of here. 

I had promised to bring gluten free cannolis to my cousin for Easter dinner, but when I checked the website I was a day late for Easter orders. On an impulse I messaged the store on Saturday morning while shopping to ask if they had any and she said YES! So we headed there and it was busy! But I got two orders of 8 each and bought most of their stock, two women came in behind me and I knew they were hoping to get some gluten free.



On the way home, solidary flag outside the Polish embassy.


The side wall of Birds and Beans coffee shop pictured above.



I received Easter lilies from John!


A week later they are all open!


Easter Sunday we finally got together with my cousin and her wife. We also got to meet Joey!


She did a raclette. We had talked earlier and asked if we wanted traditional, BBQ or raclette! We decided on raclette and brunch, although it was 8 PM when we finally left!




Monday we went to a local appliance store listed on the Bosch website as carrying the dishwasher we need. We put a deposit on it but due to the supply chain issues it could be 6 months before we get it. Such is life, as least we are now on the waiting list.
And then we had snow! Seriously? It is mid April and after Easter!




Tuesday and we had an email saying the washer/dryer steam kit was on its way to us from LG.
I baked blueberry banana bread and repotted a plant. I also did all the paper shredding that was piling up.
John went to the golf simulator on Tuesday and Thursday.
My favourite (read expensive) butcher shop Sanagan had a chicken quarter special 10 lbs for $40 and I got it delivered.

Wednesday the vacuum was acting up and overheating. Yet another!
We headed out to Hamilton for fish and chips.

Keto Kravings  also carries gluten free products.




Cannabuzz


We love pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) and love this name.

Thursday John took the vacuum in to Dyson, the Vacman thinks he can fix it for around $75, we'll see.
Inspired by a blogger (sorry, not sure who it was) who complained about an appliance and received a new one, I sent a note to Crock Pot that my slow cooker (bought December 2020) panel letters were wearing out.

This is the less than satisfactory response I received.
Hey there, Jackie. We are sorry to hear that the control panel letters are wearing off. We are glad to offer to our consumers 1 year limited warranty. Based on the information provided, your product is outside of the designated warranty period. Unfortunately, in this case, I am unable to provide a free-of-charge replacement. I wish I could provide you with more favorable response. Thank you and please stay safe! Karolina CrockPot

We picked up another from the Scotch club, Whisky Drop. It's actually an Irish whiskey.




COOKING

Saturday ham, mashed potatoes and Brussel sprouts.
Sunday Easter brunch at my cousin's.
Monday BBQ chicken quarters curry chicken and naan bread (new recipe) not a keeper! 
Tuesday fish chowder slow cooker pork belly (new recipe also not a keeper) and sauteed broccolini tomatoes mushrooms and onions.



Wednesday Chinese salad with hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese, beets
Thursday hamburger patty, mashed potatoes, beans and gravy
Friday steak, broccoli and garlic bread

WATCHING

We saw the first episode of The First Lady an American anthology drama television series created by Aaron Cooley which premiered on Showtime on April 17, 2022. It stars Viola Davis, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Gillian Anderson, among others.


Outer Range is an American supernatural mystery thriller streaming television series created by Brian Watkins for Amazon Prime Video. It stars Josh Brolin in the lead role as a Wyoming rancher. The first season will consist of eight episodes, with two episodes premiering every week starting from its premiere on April 15, 2022.


Passer By is a 2004 British television film broadcast. Stars James Nesbitt (Bloody Sunday / Bofur in The Hobbit) whom I love.
A definite moral dilemma. 

We started season 5 of Queen of the South.

READING


Thanks to Tina, I borrowed Chowderland from the library.
Each recipe also offers salad, side, or dessert pairings that are also found in this book, so the book is kind of a one-stop-shop for all your soup eating needs.
Tina has a copy of the Vineyard chicken and corn chowder on her blog.  
I like the idea of a day after Thanksgiving chowder!
I didn't know you could use evaporated milk in a chowder!
How about mussel chowder with light curry


I read Buried - The gripping first book in a brand-new thriller series by the Queen of Crime Drama, Lynda La Plante. I can't say I am a fan of this new protagonist DC Jack Warr. I enjoyed the book but it is really a continuation of the 25 million pound train robbery series with Harry and Dolly Rawlins. I'm not sure if you could follow this book if you didn't know the history. 


I devoured The Good Son - opening sentence:
“I was picking my son up at the prison gates when I spotted the mother of the girl he had murdered.” What an opener for Jacquelyn Mitchard’s new book, The Good Son!
While I did get a little bored with the mother's overprotectiveness and did figure out the plot well before the mother, it was still a great read about domestic drama, life after jail and guilt.

I started The Banker's Wife it appeals to me because it is about computer crime, money laundering and politics. Is it well written and constructed, not really. 

12 comments:

  1. Birds and Beans Coffee now that's an unusual name

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure is pretty shade of pink for lilies.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I borrowed Chowderland as well after Tina mentioned it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Rogers Centre was once called Skydome. Didn't Rogers mistreat some native Indians or something? The name could then revert to Skydome.

    The lilies must have been very fresh.

    Stick vacuum cleaner? Probably the battery failing. Clearly the stock pot fault is of your doing. You must push buttons every time you use it.

    You are so right about the opening line of the book The Good Son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the Rogers capable of anything. Here is a link to a story about the family. https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/edward-rogers-the-man-who-would-be-king/
      The lilies were incredibly fresh and still going.
      Yup, crock pot is my fault! I was not pleased with that response.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Easter Lilies! That stinks that the letters on your crock pot are already wearing out. Not as well made as it could be. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you got snow! In late April...ugh. Glad you liked the book Chaowerland, I have made so many from this book. Also, just finsihed The Banker's Wife and I like this author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pho restaurant name makes me laugh but generally my husband and I avoid punny pho restaurants. They usually don't taste that great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a Bosch dishwasher the last time I replaced mine. I couldn't be more happy.

    The art on the Birds and Beans coffee shop is fantastic. You inspired me to look for street art while I was in Paris.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.