Monday, February 7, 2022

Featured Canadian Artist of the Day

Blue Hyacinths, Elm Ave.
Nora Collyer c. 1955


Nora Frances Elizabeth Collyer (June 7, 1898 – June 11, 1979) was a Canadian modernist painter who was inspired by the Canadian landscape, nature, and urban communities. Both an artist and a teacher, she received her formal art training at the Art Association of Montreal (AAM), where she studied under Alberta Cleland, William Brymner, and Maurice Cullen. Nora Collyer was the youngest of the ten women artists who today are commonly referred to as the Beaver Hall Group. Aside from being an artist and a teacher, she was also a volunteer for the Children's Memorial Hospital of Montreal. Collyer's work was exhibited at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley, England, in 1924 and 1925, as well as at the 1939 New York World's Fair.

5 comments:

  1. I like these blooms and the winter view outside. I've done that myself in the past, and think I need to do it now. Happy new week Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she evokes so much in this painting, the brave hyacinths and the snow and it looks like a Toronto area I lived in. Gorgeous.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pic. The snow outside and the flower within. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, the painting that mimics your background blue so perfectly! And of course I also love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen her work before. This is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.