Saturday, September 28, 2024

Beans and Grinds

  Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

September 2024
FRONT ST. TORONTO


Starting Friday September 20th, at 11 p.m., the Gardiner will be closed until 10 a.m. on Sunday September 22nd. The city has stated that the closure is to accommodate work for maintenance, cleaning, and inspections, and that Sections of the Gardiner Expressway will reopen in phases as work is completed.

It was so quiet on Saturday with it closed, but traffic sure did get heavy.



Sunday and the Gardiner opened 30 minutes earlier than scheduled.

Monday Mural was from last week when we went for burgers at Cabano's.

Monday John was going to golf but it had rained heavily overnight so he opted to use the simulator instead. I was going out but the plumber said he maybe could come Monday or Tuesday. Since he is doing this job "on the side" we are at his work schedule mercy. I did do some hand washing on Sunday.

Yeah! Raffi came Monday afternoon and fixed the musty smelling dishwasher. Problem is how the contractor's plumber installed the piping. Raffi will have another guy come to fix the washer problem. So far Raffi $200. 


With the hose lifted off the floor, water does not sit stagnating and the dishwasher now drains properly.



I decided the kitchen drawers needed some decluttering (Andrew - thinking of you). 
Stuff I got rid of:


Much tidier. I moved the taco press to where that tin (above) was and found room in the spice drawer for the mortar and pestle.

Raffi pulled this out of the corner cupboard, I had forgotten about it. Gone.

I also got rid of a couple of plant pots from the balcony.


I posted some random signs for Signs.
My favourite:


Tuesday I went to the York St. $ store and stocked up on some items I needed. I took a couple of photos.




John took the car in for its winter checkup.

Wednesday I headed out to Burlington for lunch with my BFF, we went to the Piper Arms and I had fish and chips.
I caught a later train, which meant I could get a better bus at 10:30 instead of 8:30.

I went into Longo's on my way home and saw lots of girls in pink, it seems that Vance Joy, an Australian (sorry, never heard of him) pop singer was here doing a couple of shows.


She is really saying "OMG I LOVE your outfits!!!".



There was also a ballgame so it was very good for people watching.

John went to golf and then they had their banquet, John came home richer with $140.

Wednesday's sunset.


Thursday we caught the 10:30 to find the mural I couldn't find last week, found.
TMU - Toronto Metropolitan University.


Yonge St.




I also wanted to check out the Vessi pop up store in the Eaton Centre. Meh, they were okay. Canadian made, waterproof.
The sign says "this is actual water, and not a good place to put your phone down".


We did find and bought delicious Swiss chocolate after sampling their wares. L'aderach.


We went into Sketchers and I scored a navy pair on sale, $75, but alas, John found a few he liked but couldn't get them for a wide foot.

Friday John headed out to golf and I waited for the plumber(s). They took an hour to snake it twice ($400). Once they left I cleaned the cupboard under the sink and reorganized it.

How I'll be spending my time.

I went downtown to get some cash, buy some weekend groceries and picked up a couple of t-shirts on sale in Cleo's.

John's normal commute home ended up being over a 2 hour meandering drive as the DVP (Don Valley Parkway/Parking Lot) was closed down for a police investigation. It finally re-opened at 8 PM.
In a social media post, Toronto police said someone fell from the pedestrian bridge north of Gerrard Street East just before 3:30 p.m.
There’s no word on the extent of injuries suffered by the individual. The highway was reopened more than four and a half hours later.

COOKING



Gluten free English bangers from Metro are not bad - skin a little thick and too salty.
Saturday chicken kebabs/kebobs/skewers (meh - not a keeper recipe) and potato salad



Sunday creamy mushroom pork chops and cauliflower mash - good pork chop recipe
Monday pasta with homemade meat sauce and garlic bread (baguette in fridge)
Tuesday spanakopita 
Wednesday golf banquet roast beef/leftover spanakopita
Thursday chicken meatballs, tzatziki and salad. Meatballs were good but a little dry.
Friday steak (market) foiled potatoes and onions

WATCHING

We continued with Industry and I (sadly) finished Animal Kingdom, some tears were shed.
We also watched the latest episodes of 911 - Lone Star.
I also watched "Jailbreak: Love on the Run" revolves around Casey White, an inmate who escaped prison in 2022. He broke out of Lauderdale County Jail with the help of corrections officer, Vicky White. The Netflix documentary examines their romantic relationship and details how Casey was caught.

READING


I read Rewind, a quick read, somewhat predictable but with a slight twist.

I started Fake Alibi and enjoying it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.