Saturday, October 7, 2023

Apple Annie's

  Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader
T for Tuesday

October 2023 - Toronto ON

September 2023 - Orillia ON


We checked out around 9:30 and headed back to Toronto.




We hit some traffic but arrived home around 1 PM, unpacked the food items and then relaxed for the rest of the day.

Sunday we took the streetcar(s) to the Rogers Centre for the Blue Jays last regular season game. However, we already knew that they had clinched a spot in the post season after last night's game.


This made for a rather anti-climatic game with the Jays losing 12-8!! But a gorgeous day to watch a game with the roof open.




We left in the 8th inning and were home by 7 PM.

Oh well, so much for that, we lost 2 games to Minnesota Twins this week, ending our hopes and the season!!! 

John snapped this from the streetcar on our way home, Monday Mural.



The rest of the week was pretty mundane.
Monday turned out to be a very productive day as we cleaned out the pantry, emptied our suitcase and did the laundry from last week. I made soup and cleaned out the fridge. 

I placed an online order for Thanksgiving (Canada October 9). There is a delivery fee of $4.99 but I had a big order which included a turkey. No one wants to go shopping this weekend!

I needed Robin Hood gluten free flour, so I thought I would add it to my delivery. Nope, that flour is now $10.79 (was 8.99 a few months ago). Instead I bought 5 at Amazon at $7.99 each and received a $2 discount. 
Longo's = $53.95 vs Amazon = $37.95
Schar's gluten free crackers 
Longo's $8.99 X 5 =$44.95   Amazon $6.97 X 5 = $34.85 - 5% discount $1.74 = $33.11

Tuesday was another industrious day, by noon I had done two loads of wash and put three away (don't judge me!). Messaged the plumber, now the other toilet is acting up!
We swiffered and washed the kitchen floor, made apple crisp which required a trip to the store for cinnamon, they only had cinnamon sticks so John used the mortar and pestle to grind them, then when I went to put the stuff away, this was staring at me!


We had pea soup for lunch. 

Wednesday John headed out to golf on a spectacular autumn morning.
I did some administrivia and decluttered some magazines. Then I went to College Park for some shopping and groceries.
We are getting new garbage chutes installed. Cool to see how they look.


Thursday John dropped some stuff at Value Village, did some shopping. We needed gluten free tortillas for dinner and John went to several places before finding them at Farm Boy.

I baked some oatmeal and raisin cookies. And I think John ate a dozen before I froze them!!

Friday was supposed to be rainy but it rained overnight so I woke John as he had an 11 AM golf tee off time.


I went to check out a new store in the Eaton Centre.
Fox Home was established in Israel in 2010 with a new and fresh concept for the home products market. Fox Home offers a wide variety of fashionable home products while providing the consumer with a unique shopping experience, high quality, and value for money.



I bought a sweater in Reitman's and some shower gel at Bathworks. From there I went to get some gluten free baguettes at Metro. I had received notification that my afternoon grocery delivery would not have Brussel sprouts so I picked them up also. I also spotted an old woman with a walker who obviously was shop lifting, not that I can blame her at the prices!!

Yonge St. two majestic old bank buildings now incorporated into condos.


My delivery order arrived at 4 PM. $200 doesn't even fill a grocery cart these days!!

And in Canadian news:
Conservatives are defeated by an NDP majority in Manitoba. Canada sees the first Indigenous Premier on the same day that the first Black Speaker was welcomed into the Senate by the first Inuit Governor General. What a day.


COOKING

Saturday steak, mushrooms, green peppers and onions

Sunday burgers

Monday stew

Tuesday pizza




Wednesday curry chicken

Thursday pork belly tacos

Friday steak sandwiches with broccolini


WATCHING

Little Bird is a Canadian drama television series. The series centres on a First Nations woman who was adopted into a Jewish family during the Sixties Scoop, as she attempts to reconnect with her birth family and heritage. Thought provoking and disturbing.

Strike (also known as C. B. Strike internationally) is a British crime drama television series based on the book series Cormoran Strike by J. K. Rowling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

The Pope's Exorcist  is a 2023 supernatural horror film based on the 1990 book An Exorcist Tells His Story and the 1992 book An Exorcist: More Stories by Father Gabriele Amorth. Good story line that actually works.


I started watching The Ambassador, a 1998 British television drama series. The series starred Pauline Collins in the title role as Harriet Smith, the new British ambassador to Ireland and dealt with the personal and professional pressures in her life, as well as wider political themes.

READING

Girls Who Lie by a new to me, Icelandic author, Eva Björg Ægisdóttir, has captured my attention with its dark disturbing tale. 

Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and Law Former and first female Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada Beverley McLachlin offers an intimate and revealing look at her life from her childhood in the Alberta foothills to her career on the Supreme Court, where she helped to shape the social and moral fabric of the country.
I enjoyed learning the differences between American and Canadian Supreme Courts. She became a lawyer when few women did and lived through an interesting period of history dealing with women's rights, abortion, gay rights and Indigenous rights.

I enjoyed Girls Who Lie so much I started her first book The Creak on the Stairs and it is another good read.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Canada! How wonderful that you have people from many diverse groups leading your country.

    I'm sorry that baseball didn't go your way this year. Still, it's always fun to see a game in person.

    Gracious alive! That is expensive flour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of myself for putting some laundry away in the 48 hours since I washed a load. But the socks are still sitting in the basket next to my desk. So, no judgment from this quarter!

    Happy Thanksgiving! It's sounds like you're ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swiffered? Ah, now I know and I assume you weren't talking about a young dyke.
    Don't tell John about the cinnamon.
    If you noticed the woman shoplifting, she will get caught.
    Very good news from Manitoba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great trip. Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, rich content in your updates. Made a note of that Icelandic author and I loved "Little Bird" remarkably well done. Groceries are a joke these days, I say that sarcastically being involved with seniors in poverty who can't even afford an effing banana while those grocery chains make those obscene profits, don't get me started. And yes Amazon I lean on even while holding my nose.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your updates. Happy Thanksgiving to you and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I get told I do so much. HA, No. ... YOU DO! I am breathless, hungry and sad our Braunschweig Lions (American Football 1st league) are no more. I loved to visit. They are called after their sponsor now and visitors dropped from 12 000 to 3 000 max - for a reason. Sorry for the players. Nice to see you can enjoy.
    You woke my sweet tooth. Apple Pie, please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmygoodness! I see that big bag of cinnamon staring you right in the face. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those fall colors are gorgeous! And I'm LOL-ing at the cinnamon--I do that all the time. At one point I had 3 bottles of oregano in my spice cabinet because whenever I went to the store, I thought I needed oregano. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great timing on Manitoba having a new premier.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.