Monday, December 5, 2022

Signs 2

 Joining Tom at Signs2.

Wordless Wednesday Wordless Be There 2day


I was reading Andrew's post about cockatoos and showed John the video that Andrew had linked. John immediately mentioned the place we stayed in the Outback in Australia where we had first seen cockatoos!
I went to look at the photos and found perfect fodder for Signs.

William Creek - click here for my original post/some photo repeats.

Getting there


No, it is not a sign warning you about wild dogs. The sign says "Campground. Air conditioned rooms. Enquire at takeaway."






WELCOME TO WILLIAM CREEK - A TASTE OF THE OUTBACK
PLEASE DROP BULL DUST HERE
Bulldust or bull dust is a fine, soft and powdery red aeolian dust that is common across Australia, especially in the Outback and desert. Bulldust is a type of fugitive dust that when disturbed can have dangerous effects. Bulldust is common on remote roads, especially in the far north of Australia where the wet and dry season can cause the roads to either be boggy or very dry. Bulldust is also an Australian colloquial term and euphemism. Both meanings of the term originated in the 1920s.





William Creek Pub/Hotel/Bar/Restaurant/Bottle Shop












Oh, and our first cockatoo!





8 comments:

  1. Love the new banner - and certainly this post!!! Oh, if back then we had digital cameras (I might still sort through pics! ;-)..)
    Thank you )cough!!) for the memories! We slept in the car and every night... all that red dust, LOL. And the night-sky... and all those signs (I took no pic of) - film was expensive and we were not sure it will take the temps, not even dug down deep in our clothes (it did)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wish we had digital when we started travelling! Thanks, John took the banner photo!

      Delete
  2. Close but no prize. This corella is very similar. Many Australians wouldn't know them apart either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would catch me! I swear, I googled cockatoo photos before I wrote this. I am sure I found some that looked like this one.

      Delete
  3. Great signs. I had to laugh because one year I went to NYC and shot 48 rolls, each with 36 photos. It cost nearly as much as the trip to get them developed!

    John has a great eye. That is a fabulous new banner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also want to say very commendable banner photo! Loved the air conditioned van. Right. So first wild cockatoo! A real beauty. I'm sure you have many stories from that trip!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.