Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cooking Agenda Weekend March 13-14

This is a photo of a woman cooking at Muckross House in Killarney, Ireland. I found this photo at www.muckross-house.ie/.../ireland_in_the_30s.htm. We visited this House several times on the Lakes of Killarney, it is such a beautiful spot. Will post a blog about it this week in honour of St. Patrick's Day.



Not much cooking in this kitchen this weekend. Friday night was a delicious Irish stew based on Gavan's recipe over at http://www.thehealthyirishman.com/ . I didn't add parsnips because BH doesn't like them. I used homemade lamb stock instead ofthe beef stock that he used. BH was dubious about the use of chops in a stew and claimed I was lazy for not removing the bone. But the bones aare where all the lovely flavour comes from! Plus the bones made it into the stock bag for the next round of stock making.

Saturday I made a stirfry from some flank steak we had in the freezer. I used the marinade from this recipe I found over at http://www.allrecipes.com/
Ingredients
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (1 pound) beef flank steak

Directions

1.In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pout half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.

2.Drain and discard marinade from steak. Gill steak, covered, over medium for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145 degrees F; medium, 160 degrees F well-done, 170 degrees F), basting occasionally with the reserved marinade.

I only marinated for an hour which was justas well as we were using a soy sauce that I had never bought before and it was way too salty! The dish in itself was very good.
I chopped up broccoli, onion and cabbage. Added onions to olive oil in pan with some garlic. When the onions softened I added the broccoli and then the meat (I discarded the marinade) and cabbage. The meat had enough marinade to make some gravey which I thickened with corn starch. I then added a splash of Chinese Rice wine and served over white rice.

Sunday dinner will be a pork rib eye roast with thyme based on the following. My pork is very small so it should only take about 1 1/2 hours to cook. Will throw in some potatoes and brussel sprouts to roast along with it. Will add a photo if I remember to take one.

Ingredients

5 pounds pork roast, trimmed
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dried thyme 
Onion slices

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

2.With a small knife, pierce top of roast. Force garlic slices into the cuts. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper. Place bay leaves in the bottom of the roasting pan, and set roast on top of bay leaves and onion slices fat side up. Mix vinegar and thyme in a small bowl, and pour over the top of the roast.

3.Bake in the preheated oven 3 hours, or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) is reached. Using a baster or spoon, baste the drippings over the roast frequently while it is cooking. Let the roast rest for 10 minutes when done before slicing.

I will make gravy with the drippings.

Other than that I have been glued to this (and 2 other) computer blogging, booking flights and generally researching our trip.

There is leftover cold coffee from yesterday that I plan on making a coffee chocolate cake with later this afternoon.  After which I will vacuum!!

1 comment:

  1. You know, for all the Irish soda bread I've eaten, and all the potatoes and colcannon, I have not had a real Irish Stew? Gads.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.