Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cooking Agenda Mar 5-6

Last night we had homemade pizza made on pitas.

This morning was a nice big fry up with mushrooms, eggs, bacon, black pudding and mushrooms.
After sitting on the porch in the sunlight reading my book (E-Reader) I finally dragged my sorry a$$ into the kitchen to cook and clean. I made a pot of spicy tomato soup. My mom made the best tomato soup and I was never able to duplicate it and never actually saw her make it. I tried for years and finally have a recipe that comes prety close to hers (but of course will never match hers). I took homemade vegetable stock, added a can of tomato juice, rice and lots of chilli peppers. Will post a picture when I take one.

Our neighbour friends left for Florida for 3 weeks on Wednesday and another friend watches the house, so she asked me to go in with her to clear out the fridge (this is standard when they leave). We divided up the fresh produce and I came home with Swiss chard. I have never cooked this before but knew it was much like spinach. Searched and found a recipe at Recipezaar and improvised using it as a base this afternoon. I used canned beans (always drain and wash the beans to remove the sticky residue), and boxed chicken stock. As well I plan to add the remaining pepperoni from last night. Atthe last minute I also added some leftover mashed potatoes to it to thicken it up slightly and improve on the slightly green shade of the soup.
That will take care of BH's lunches for the week.

Dinner tonight was going to be rack of lamb that I "discovered" in the freezer yesterday. However, it is the most beautiful day here with the sun shining so I decided to take steaks out for the BBQ. BH picked up some brocoflower to have with it. Will have potatoes just not sure how they will be cooked as yet, likely baked.

Tomorrow morning will be a light breakfast as we are going to my sister's for brunch. My cousin and her family will also be there as we'll celebrate my cousin's daughter's 5th bday since we're not around next weekend for her birthday party.
Depending on what we have there dinner will likely be something light.

1 comment:

  1. Yummm..I love swiss chard. It's good food! I have never heard of black pudding.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.