Monday, February 19, 2024

Monday Mural

 I'm linking up at Monday Mural


February 2024 - Toronto ON


Onsite Gallery OCAD




Inuk artist Jessica Winters is a painter, biologist and curator raised in Makkovik, Nunatsiavut and is currently based in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Her work focuses on translating seemingly regular instances of Inuit life into something provoking and nostalgic. In her paintings, she draws upon vivid memories, intense curiosity and lived experiences detailing deep connections to place and community. Winters says, “my work is a deeply profound response to my culture, my family and the land that nurtures us.”

In her commissioned mural, Hopedale, Winters celebrates the land and people that build the foundation of home, the space that provides a depth of sustenance, responsibility and enduring connections. She says, “Every time I return to Nunatsiavut from the south, I can find something special about the place and the people that I took for granted as a kid growing up immersed in that life. It often feels like I am seeing something for the first time again.”






3 comments:

  1. ...a perfect mural for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mural. I like the little girl and dog. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that mural. It's very sweet. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.