Saturday, November 11, 2023

Wilkie's Bakery

 Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

November 2023 - Toronto ON

September 2023 - Orillia ON

It was nice to sleep in our own bed, although the bed in the hotel was excellent!
Around 11 I decided to make two banana cranberry loaves. I used dried cranberries (I don't normally buy them - they have been in the cupboard from a long ago trip to Picard's).



In the process of cleaning out the freezer I threw out a bag of sad frozen bag of bananas (I had another better looking one), slowly getting it emptied.
Then I prepared the sauce for spareribs (bought BOGO), then popped them into the slow cooker. That was three hours of my day.



The time change totally messed with my Sunday, not much got done.

Monday was a weird weather day, we had a bit of everything. We dodged it all while we went for our flu shots and had a late lunch out..

Tuesday we went for mani-pedis.
A little decluttering every day, it is easy. We finally got rid of two cells and chargers that we got a few years ago - free - as part of a SIM card purchase in the States.

Wednesday John had an early morning appointment downtown and I met him at 11:45 for lunch. However, the theatre crowd were lined up at Fran's and we figured we didn't have a chance of getting in so we walked up Yonge to Burger King, it has been years since we ate there.



With time to kill, we people-watched in the Eaton Centre and then headed over to the CAA Ed Mirvish Theatre for In Dreams. This play was  absolute entertainment, I could watch it again.







In Dreams is a jukebox musical with a book by David West Read and featuring the songs of Roy Orbison. The musical uses the songs of Orbison to tell a modern-day story about Kenna, the former lead singer of a country rock band, who reconnects with her old friends at a family-run Mexican restaurant.
It premiered in Leeds England in July 2023 and most of the cast transferred here to the Toronto production. Click here for a lengthy overview of the Leeds production.

There was rain and hail as we headed back to the bus. Display in Royal York.


Thursday was basically a lazy day. We did get our Waygu t-bone steaks.


Friday we took the 9:30 bus downtown as we were picking up lunch at the French bakery and bringing it to friends for lunch. We had just ate here in September, it was gone!
So we resorted to pre-made sandwiches and some flowers instead.
We then spent the afternoon visiting.



COOKING
Saturday pork spare ribs and baked potato

Sunday beef stroganoff noodles for me and rice for John shepherd's pie

Monday leftovers


Wednesday ordered Chinese. Spring rolls (Jackie) honey garlic ribs, black pepper steak and Peking chicken with rice.

Thursday Chinese leftovers

Friday steak and sauteed cabbage, onions, peppers and bok choy

WATCHING

Burning Body Spanish 2023 mini-series - when a police officer is murdered and set on fire, all eyes focus on two other agents; his girlfriend and her lover. Inspired by true events. We enjoyed this.

We tried watching Locked In 2021 but it was just too bad. 

We really enjoyed Special Ops: Lioness season one.

We started The Burning Girls -a reverend and her daughter start a new life in a village that soon reveals its community's dark history and where ancient superstitions and mistrust of outsiders are quite common. We didn't think we would enjoy this, but we did.


READING

I finished Maid, I really wanted to like this book. But the writing was not that good and the story seems one sided. She isn't a teenager when she gets pregnant. Why would you buy yourself a $200 ring when you can't put food on the table? None of us could work only 25 hours a week and expect to pay our bills.

I couldn't be bothered to finish The Last Place You Look, too cliched. 

I started The Angel, it is a good read.

7 comments:

  1. The banana cranberry loaves look perfect for a weekend coffee share. I like the display at Royal York hotel too. Thank you Jackie for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The darn change to winter-time. I hate this.
    The theatre looks very impressive. And a beautiful display there.
    Sad when good places vanish...
    Your food-review left me hungry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaning out the freezer sounds like a great thought. I’m working on not following up that thought in my own freezer.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those banana cranberry loves look amazing!!! And it is so annoying when a favorite business disappears off the face of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had Maid on my list for a long time. I'm sorry to hear that the life of this person was filled with poor choices.

    Oh, I would love to try some banana cranberry bread. It sounds ideal for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bread look delicious! I appreciate you honesty about books! :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.