Saturday, August 20, 2022

Inside Cafe

  Linking up at Marg at The Intrepid Reader


May 2022 Collingwood ON

John had physio mid afternoon on Saturday. I did some plant maintenance and chores.

Sunday was mostly a day of play with some laundry.

Monday John golfed at Wooden Sticks, an annual event that includes a meal.

The Island hole 


The Swilcan (Swilkan) Bridge









I took the streetcar (it's been a long time) along Queen St. West with a couple of murals as my mission. I also happened to pass a couple of new ones I will have to go back for.

I need this Catrina for my collection - maybe not $2,100!


Garbage day, I had to cut the bins out of the photos!


Junk store, reminds me that when I was in Winners, someone had artistically arranged the decorative letters to spell ASS!



This novelty shop is always changing their chalkboard.




I stopped at Rosie's for a burger, delicious but slow service as only one guy was working.





New banners on Queen West designed by HamOnt Doodles. I showed another one on Tuesday Treasures from this stroll.



Crocodile Rocks is no more! A landmark for more than 30 years, it closed in 2020. I had a boss, a VP of Finance, who spent every weekend here, back in the 90s!


A 48 storey mixed-use rental building integrating historical properties. The site is currently occupied by a 4-storey commercial building which is listed on the City's Heritage Register and identified as a contributing property in the King-Spadina Heritage Conservation District Plan.


Tuesday I caught the 8:35 shuttle downtown for my  9:15 ophthalmologist appointment. Normally we'd be downtown by 8:50 ish so I would have time for the subway ride to Davisville (10 subway stops). But no, traffic was dreadful and we didn't get to Union until 9:07 and I got to her office at 9:38. No big deal, she is never on time and I finally left at 11:30. I wanted to stop at Dundas Square to see a new mural (Click here to see it!).

Chalk drawing on Yonge.

I decided to stop at the Union Station outdoor food market and had a fish taco.



A new art install in Union Station. No information as yet on the Union Station website.




Wednesday John headed to golf and I met my BFF for lunch downtown. We chose Union Chicken, neither of us had eaten there before.
I had the Nashville Lightening Hot Sandwich. It was sooooo hot!!!!!! Never again!


It was so crowded downtown as Blue Jays fans flocked from the subway and train station for a game at 3. In fact traffic was so crazy that a) the bus was 15 minutes late and b) we sat at the corner for 10 minutes until he cut through the lane to go down Lower Simcoe turn onto Bremner only to have it closed off at the baseball stadium!! He did numerous detours to no avail. It took us an hour for a normal fifteen to twenty minute ride.


The driver attempting to get onto the Gardiner, we've never gone this route before!


These guys were going faster than we were!




Thursday we stayed in and did some chores then watched movies with popcorn!

Friday John golfed. I headed out but it felt like rain so I came back and just relaxed with a bit of this and that.

IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK
Bell Media 'regrets' handling of Lisa LaFlamme ouster

Canadians were incensed this week with news anchor Lisa LaFlamme's personal Twitter announcement of her dismissal after 35 years at the age of 58. 
Lisa LaFlamme received the Canadian Screen Award for best national news anchor in Toronto on Aug. 17.

Charges of ageism, misogyny, sexism are being thrown at the network. Petitions are circulating.

Lisa LaFlamme ‘going grey’ questioned by CTV executive, says senior company official.
During the pandemic Lisa decided to let her gorgeous hair go grey as she couldn't go to the hair salon. Women applauded her and people loved her natural hair colour. But her MALE boss asked who "approved" it!!!!!! Do male TV anchors get "permission" to allow their hair go grey?






The parent company of CTV News says it will launch a workplace review conducted by an independent party amid criticism of its dismissal of Lisa LaFlamme from her role as chief anchor.
Bell Media said in a statement Friday it "regrets" the way in which LaFlamme's departure was handled, as it "may have left viewers with the wrong impression" that her storied career wasn't valued.
On Monday, LaFlamme released a video statement saying she was "blindsided" after finding out in June that Bell Media was ending her contract at CTV National News. She said she kept the news under wraps until the details were finalized.







COOKING

Saturday burgers and sweet potato fries with dipping sauce

Sunday short rib stew

Monday John had chicken and ribs at the golf course so I had a pork chop and beans.


Tuesday salmon coconut cauliflower rice 
John made himself pizza for lunch.


Wednesday BBQ chicken quarters and cauliflower rice 

Thursday chicken tenders with honey mustard dipping sauce and potato salad

Friday steak and loaded baked potato


WATCHING

If you have time to watch one of the following - Worth is "worth" watching!!

Spider in the Web is a 2019 spy thriller film. Was a decent watch about an aging spy who's on one last mission to redeem his life and career before the clock runs out.



Worth is a 2020 biographical film that is a surprisingly effective movie about a tricky subject — the creation of the Sept. 11 Victim Compensation Fund. We really enjoyed it although some tears were shed.




Bank Robbers - The Last Great Heist - Four South American men set out to steal the contents of 400 bank deposit boxes within a two-hour period. The team engineers an elaborate plan and name it the Donatello Project, after one of the characters in the feature film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The blueprint includes an escape through a water-filled tunnel and disguises to be worn while looting the premises. The group faces setbacks and hostages are taken, but when it's all over, the alleged criminals hope to disappear sight unseen and without ever being apprehended by the law. Who doesn't a movie where you cheer for the bank robbers!!


Guy Pearce, Pierce Brosnan and Minnie Driver star in 'Spinning Man,' a thriller about a university professor suspected of being involved in the disappearance of a young girl.




READING

Not a big reading week!

I finished reading Marrying the Ketchups, a fun read about a dysfunctional family dealing with their mid-life crises. 

18 comments:

  1. I always it when you share all the street art and fun things you see throughout the week! I love short ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no they didn't! That is outrageous LaFlamme's contract wasn't renewed!! Oh, you have to read Lessons in chemistry, Jackie. It is like Mad Men except Elizabeth Zott thwarts the male bosses in this 1960's era novel.

    Love the food you shared and hope you and John are well. I ended up with two Weekend Cooking posts as I forgot today wasn't Sunday. Retirement rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally outrageous!! Just added Lessons to my TBR list, thanks! We are both great. Retirement does rock!

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by Toronto and would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your street art. It must make city trips fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your update Jackie, always rich in content. Bell Media are despicable. I hope their viewers switch CTV off.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your weekend coffee share. I love the deer and City sightseeing bus pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Photo above Union Station, I like very much.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be wonderful to live in Toronto where you live and see new pieces of art almost every time you walk through town. I thank you for sharing your city's art with us.

    I plan to share the story of LaFlamme with others. How sad to retire someone of her reputation.

    Nashville Lightening Hot Sandwich sounds like my sort of sandwich. I always go for the hottest. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your photos. I love looking at all the shops etc.

    Ergh traffic. We sat in traffic yesterday. Not the most fun with a 4 year old but we got to IKEA eventually 🤣

    That's awful about that news anchor. It's ridiculous that it's happening in this day and age.

    I tried making Pizza the other day. I don't like to talk about it because it was a complete disaster 🤣

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/21/sunday-salon-17/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss Canada and all my relatives in Toronto. Your pictures make me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A life in pictures... Thanks for always sharing with us.

    Have a great week ahead!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were brave to even try the Nashville Lightning Hot Sandwich... I'd run in the other direction. Marrying the Ketchups looks like a fun read. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of great pics. Happy reading this week!
    http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/08/sunday-book-roundup-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the photos of just daily surroundings. I'm in the U.S. so not familiar with this anchor but good grief, "who approved the decision for her to go gray?" that is ridiculous and offensive. Hope there is a true investigation about that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely deer.

    I haven't watched television news in years, but her treatment would have instantly driven me away from CTV.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.