Saturday, January 13, 2024

Propeller Coffee

 Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

January 2024 - Toronto ON

January 2024 The Well Front St. Toronto


In a statement, the City of Toronto said there were two misspelled signs that were installed as part of more than 500 cycling signs in December 2023.


I finished up some leftover wool from last year's blanket, it made a small lap blanket that can go into the charity bag.


Dire weather warnings for Tuesday, that never happened. However, it is now forecasted for Friday night...
It was rainy and windy as I went downtown to meet an old friend (hadn't seen in ages) for a long coffee break! It was fun catching up.


We decided to explore Toronto's independent coffee shops, trying a different one each week. So far, we are 2 for 2. 
Our destination this week was Bevy at The Combine in the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, the same as BBC or ABC) building. We cut through CBC as it was bloody cold out.




Miniature model of the building.


Schitt's Creek's motel sign! It was produced by CBC.




The Combine is a collaborative space dedicated to nurturing local creatives.


 Although commonly confused for the short form of "beverage," the name "Bevy" according to its founder, Phil Song, is taken from the word meaning "a group of like-minded individuals." 






Thursday was a foggy day, I had planned on going out but by lunchtime I felt like baking, so I tried a recipe I had pinned but never made, spice cake with a spicy mocha frosting. It is a little too sweet, would reduce sugar, increase spices and add more coffee to the icing.



Then I made the potato salad for dinner, after a 2 hour chat with my BFF!

Friday we did a quick jaunt to Longo's for weekend supplies.

COOKING
Saturday slow cooker pork loin, mashed potatoes and parsnips with broccolini. Leftover pork was lunch sandwiches.

Sunday Alfredo with spaghetti and bacon

Monday lamb chops, mashed potatoes and carrots

Beef keema (spice mix gifted by bus driver) and gluten free 2 ingredient naan. First time making this naan, I think I should have flattened it more as it was a bit thick and gummy. I will use this recipe next time - 3 ingredient naan.

Salt and vinegar potato chips haddock with fries and sliced tomatoes.

Thursday chicken tenders with dip. tomatoes and potato salad

Steak fajitas - these are the best gluten free tortillas!




WATCHING
We watched CBC Gem D.I.Ray season 1, 4 episodes, it was so good and maddening!

Fool Me Once 2024 Netflix series - Following the murder of her husband Joe, Maya Stern was given a nanny cam by a friend to watch over her daughter Lilly. However, after watching nanny camera footage, she sees Joe, who was presumed dead, visiting his daughter. Meanwhile, Abby  and Daniel, her niece and nephew, seek to find the truth about their mother's murder and the possible connections between both cases.

Society of the Snow 2023 movie -  is a 2023 survival thriller film centered around the Uruguayan 1972 Andes flight disaster.

Money Heist Berlin - nope, we gave up on it.

Giri/Haji 2019 serries - A detective from Tokyo scours London for his missing brother, who's been involved with the Yakuza and accused of murder.


READING


I read a quarter of Wrong Number, skimming many pages, until I gave up on it, too boring. I did enjoy her delving into the darknet.

I started 11 Missed Calls and am enjoying it.




11 comments:

  1. Bevy’s coffee art looks great. I did a tour of independent coffee shops a couple of years ago. It was fun. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment about Bevy’s coffee art was from me before I signed in with my name/ URL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spite of us always being assured weather forecasts are now very accurate, I wonder. Here they seem to have been so off for about three months, I don't know what is happening. It's worse for you with forecasts of heavy snow and then it not happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so close to the lake that we don't seem to get the snow, but anything north of us does.

      Delete
  4. It seems like a rather enjoyable week. What's the weather like now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cold! -9C feels like -18C!! 16F feels like -1F.

      Delete
  5. Ooops on the signs. Can't always rely on spellcheck right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I love the snowpocalypse sign. It's so true. Weather is so unpredictable. We have had a lot of snow here, but it's not enough to be considered a snowpocalypse. I hope you have a great week!

    https://jennielyse.com/sunday-news-51/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackie, I'm so impressed that you went out in this weather. A high of 18 degrees F? Oh my! I hope you will continue to visit and review coffee shops.

    Thanks for the Signs That You Regularly Visit the Library. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have the clothing for this kind of weather and we can walk underground to many places downtown.

      Delete
  8. My daughter has been making Naan recently!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.