Saturday, December 23, 2023

Dineen Coffee Co.

  Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader

December 2023 - Toronto ON


On Saturday John and I made the mixture for tourtieres. I used a boxed pastry mix to make one for dinner.




We had planned on having Armenian pizza (Lahmajoun) that was languishing in the freezer for lunch, but they had well passed their best by date! Oh well, one more item removed from the freezer.
We did use up two packages of Italian sausages that were in the freezer this week!

Monday we went out to Burlington for lunch with friends at The Judge and Jury, a pub that has a totally gluten free menu on Mondays.
I wore my Fluevogs!





Tuesday I did some shopping. Our online grocery order arrived as did our LCBO order so we are all set for the holidays.
I also got another of my Christmas gifts, I like sitting on the bed to watch stuff. UPDATE I have named it Eeyore. 


John also surprised me by finding, online, my maraschino cherry chocolates that were always a treat at Christmas growing up. They are impossible to find these days.


Wednesday I dragged John downtown with me to pick up crab (frozen) for New Year's Eve, as they were on sale.


I started clean up of my photo files and doing back ups of data.

I  made this gluten free pie crust, easiest pastry ever, made in the food processor for the remaining tourtiere filling for Christmas. Much prettier than the one above!


Friday we did a quick trip for some extras for the holiday weekend!


COOKING

Saturday tourtiere and beans

Sunday roast beef, roasted potatoes and carrots

Monday leftover roast beef/potatoes 

Tuesday leftover tourtiere and beans

Wednesday  lamb chops, Greek lemon potatoes and broccolini

Thursday salt and pepper halibut and turnip (rutabaga) fries, first time, these were good, but I would do them in the air fryer next time.

Friday steak, baked potato, broccolini 

WATCHING

Seven Seconds Tensions run high between African American citizens and Caucasian cops in Jersey City when a teenage African American boy is critically injured by a cop. We had watched this in March 2021, but enjoyed it again.

The movie channels are free during the holidays so John has recorded a bunch of them.

The Rack 1956 - A decorated Korean War hero inexplicably collaborates with the enemy while interred in a POW camp and is court-martialed.

I had never seen Rebel without a Cause 1955 - A rebellious young man with a troubled past comes to a new town, finding friends and enemies. There was much more to this movie than I realized.
Rebel without a Cause has as much to say today as it did in the 1950s. It typifies the ineptitude of fathers to act as responsible adults and their unwillingness to accept their teen-aged children into an adult world.

Map to the Stars 2014  is an internationally co-produced satirical drama film directed by David Cronenberg. The film concerns the plight of a child star and a washed up actress while commenting on the entertainment industry's relationship with Western civilization as a whole.
MEH! 

The Hurricane 1999 the story of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence. Excellent!



READING

I am addicted to Kia Abdullah's books, this is the second one I've read. Those People Next Door highlights the many faces of racism with an intense storyline. This  is a family drama/crime/legal tale that is well written. Having had the "neighbours from hell" I can appreciate this!
She handles court cases with the feeling that you are sitting on the jury as your opinions sway from witness to witness. OMG I did not see that ending coming!!!

Started Take It Back by the same author!

13 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Christmas!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are beautiful and the foods at the J&J pub look good. Thank you for your weekend coffee share. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crust looks delicious. I made gluten-free Scottish shortbread for the first time today. It turned out pretty well, albeit a little crumblier than normal.

    I'm jealous of the crab. It's my favorite but I can't eat it unless my husband is traveling. He's severely allergic to shellfish and will go into anaphylactic shock if it's in the house, any restaurant he enters, or even if I eat it. It's very sad.

    Merry Christmas! I hope you have a lovely holiday!

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those beautiful ruby red shoes. Wow!

    My mom loved those chocolate-covered cherries. I got them for her for Christmas every year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here they spell Lahmajoun different and Turkish stalls sell i - still yummy! :-)
    Your Fluevogs are beautiful!!! WOW! Thank you for the big smile!
    Hmmm, and the food! That sittong-help looks comfy - and funny :-)
    OH! Reminder to take the Mon Cheries to take to Perth, thank you!

    Question: Do nearby bloggers show up at your door to join your meals?
    It all sounds so yummy!

    Have a Merry Christmas, atm I´m watching Scrooged...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, no bloggers have shown up yet! That would be fun. I have named my blue seat thingy Eeyore, as it looks like him!

      Delete
  6. That's a gorgeous tree and I love those shoes! Your Christmas tourtiere looks delicious. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drooling over all the food, as usual. That second crust is beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food in your posts always makes me hungry. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tree is amazing!

    I love those shoes, I've never heard of that brand so I went to their site. I loved the Cushion Floral Slipper with buckle. I wanted a pair but they don't have my size (size 5).

    The food from The Judge and Jury looks really good. I love the name.

    I have one of those pillows for my bed, I love it. I also love chocolate covered cherries but don't think I've ever had that brand.

    What a great deal on the Snow Crab. You did a great job on the pie crust!

    I enjoyed The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row by Anthony Ray Hinton so I think I'd like the Rubin Carter book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, one thing about Fluevogs, they tend to be on the small side, I am a 6 but mine are a 7. There is a FB page for Fluevigs, called
      Flummunity https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864480280537411. People often mention having to size up.
      I added that book to my library wish list!

      Delete
  10. Your tourtiere looks delicious!

    Thanks for sharing with Weekend Cooking!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.