Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sepia Saturday - April 6





Sepia Saturday's theme this week is on old ruin or a castle.

I chose "old ruins" with this photo I took of the USSR pavilion at Expo 67 in Montreal. I had a season pass and spent a lot of time at Expo with family and friends. I guess that practically makes me on old ruin as well!!




I found some fascinating information about Expo 67 at this web site.

Crossing the LeMoyne Channel by Minirail to Ile Notre-Dame, visitors will see the silver grey pavilion of the Soviet Union to the left, with the dates 1917-1967 over the main entrance to mark the fifty years of the U.S.S.R.
The pavilion is linked by Minirail with the Ile Notre-Dame station of the Expo-Express and with the Métro system at Métro Sainte-Hélène. One of Expo's largest buildings, it combines modern distinction with elegance and grace.
As its approach to Expo's theme Man and his World, the U.S.S.R. chose: In the name of Man, for the good of Man.
The scope of the exhibits is on a scale commensurate with the activity of a dynamic country of 230 million inhabitants. In Cosmos Hall, Soviet space technology is on display and visitors can experience the sensations of space travel while comfortably seated in armchairs...there is a major exhibit devoted to Atoms for Peace...other exhibits describing the Soviet way of life, urban and rural...economic, scientific and engineering achievements...international relations and aid to developing countries...art and culture.
The pavilion has a 600 seat theatre for Soviet movies...documentaries...fashion shows. The restaurant, café and snack bar offer a wide variety of delicious food and drinks from many republics of the Soviet Union.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting shots. I haven't heard of this meme I will investigate it. 67 was a few years ago but I don't think you are an 'old ruin' quite yet. and then again how should I know. LOL NOT!
    My sis was living in Lethbridge than and did attend the EXPO. MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended Expo 67 - I must have been 13. I had a wonderful time - loved all the exhibits and some of the buildings still stick in my mind. I've thought about doing a post about it sometime. Thanks for the link too. It was my first and only visit to Canada. Guess that makes me a ruin too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful shot of the castle. I used to to the Sepia scenes but had not been able to find it again. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this interesting snapshot from your archives. I followed your link to the Expo67 site, and went on to visit the Kodak Pavilion, although sadly there weren't any interior shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that there was a lot in the news in UK about Expo. I wasa teenaager back then and would have taken an interest. I think I would have loved to visit; how fortunate you were to have a season ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only event like this I have visited was the Festival of Britain in 1951 when I was 14; I would have enjoyed Expo 67 more being that much older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Russians were not great architects were they? But this was an interesting post about the expo.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had gone to that expo.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.