Saturday, April 28, 2018

Love Food

April 2018 - Toronto ON


April 2018 - Toronto ON


Saturday

I made these low carb coconut flour pancakes with some additions I had seen in another recipe, I added lemon juice, zest and unsweetened coconut. These were delicious and light, you didn't have that bloated feeling that some pancakes leave you with.


Then a lazy pajama day...

Gluten free pizza with lots of toppings for dinner.

We watched a movie that was inspired by the imagination of P. T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman is an original musical that celebrates the birth of show business and tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation.


Sunday

I had a pork roast and made a rub of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and I used remainder on mushrooms which I also roasted. Served with roast potatoes and broccolini.

Monday
John had an appointment and I ran some errands.

I caught a peek of white flowers in the lobby of the Royal York so I decided to investigate.

There was a reporter interviewing a woman she introduced as a royal fan.



Once home we had lunch watching an episode of The Leftovers which led to an afternoon of binge watching without cell phones. Until around 6 PM we started getting messages asking if we were both okay as there was a terrible accident at Yonge and Sheppard. Puzzled we logged on, laptops and TV to discover nine people were dead with more injuries as a man drove a van down the sidewalk mowing people down until a police officer arrested him.
The count soon was ten dead and fourteen injured.


Stunned we ordered dinner as we sat and watched more coverage and then the hockey game. Security was on high alert around the ACC Centre with Toronto beat Boston.
Listen to the fans singing the national anthem loud and proud.


Tuesday


Toronto was a different city this morning. Cement barricades went up outside Union Station and several other spots in the city.



Union Station often hosts various performances, today was the Fall For Dance North in rehearsal.





I met my BFF and with no particular plan in mind, we walked to City Hall and grabbed lunch from the chip wagon.

A grey day in more ways than one, the flag is at half mast and the Toronto sign dimmed to honour the victims.


But it felt like perhaps spring has sprung!




We strolled through Nordstom's, looking at the shoe section.

$400 flip flops...


Then a stop in H&M where I garnered two summer dresses for $40, a lot less than a pair of flip flops! BFF got a top.
Then a walk up Yonge to Marshall's and Bed Bath and Beyond before walking back to Union Station.

Fabulous fridge magnets on a billboard at Dundas Square.



Brookfield Place had a display for Earth Day.





When I was cutting up the leftover pork to make moo shu pork I thought, oh well, it won't be great but at least we are making use of it. WRONG it was absolutely delicious!!



Wednesday
I know April showers should bring May flowers but enough already!!!

John and I headed out for lunch in the Assembly Hall, luckily we get the bus outside our door and can go underground once we are downtown.



We both chose the Thai green curry from Little Khao.



Delicious but I could do without the tofu.


Then a trip to the Bay for John to get some sports socks.


Then to the Eaton Centre to track down Bath And Bodyworks for some candles.


I made my first batch of ice cream!! Fresh raspberry, so delicious!




Burgers for dinner.

Thursday

I saw this billboard in Toronto and loved it.




I met John downtown at College for lunch.


My won ton noodle soup and John had black bean chicken from China King.


A glorious spring day as we walked over to Allan Gardens to see their spring flower display.


.




John









.

A funny diner.



Discovered a couple of churches and murals on our way. And this tall guy.
Brickman by Inges Idee



It was such a gorgeous day we walked along Jarvis to Adelaide then backtracked
to Shuter to see the renovated St. Michael's Cathedral.
Step inside here.


Massey Hall near the Eaton Centre.

On Bay St. we found a new craft beer pub serving local breweries' products. They even carry gluten free beer!
These kegs decorate the windows.






Friday

I decided to check out a new store on Lake Shore and York, in a new office tower.
It is connected to the PATH which is an underground/above ground system of indoor options to move around downtown. You can get to Union Station from where you can go all the way up to the Eaton Centre or City Hall without ever going outside or west to the CN Tower or King St. and John and south to Harbourfront.





And I discovered a gem, Banksy!!


Following the PATH to Longo's I was able to look down on Union Plaza where they were setting up for tonight's Raptors' game. The square gets closed off for fans to watch the game on the large screen.


Inside the lobby of the Air Canada Centre, ACC, where they play along with the Maple Leafs.


Dinner - steak, sauteed potatoes, green peppers, onions and mushrooms.


BOOKS

April 2018 - Royal York Hotel Toronto

I finished The Night The Lights Went Out and plan on reading more of her books even though it was easy quite early on to figure out how this was going to unwind.
I especially loved the Southern fried charm of the 92 year old Sugar and her gritty sound advice.


My commuting read is Diane Arbus: A Biography, interesting but lacking real information as none of the family would cooperate with the author, so it reads rather mundane.
The jacket compares her to two of my favourites, Frida Kahlo and Georgia O'Keeffe, which I can't/don't see.

Slowly working my way through Truly Madly Guilty, my first by this author. Many reviews said it was too slow and drawn out with boring characters but I liked the way it was drawn out and I think the characters are just ordinary people in a difficult situation having their relationships tested.


SHARING WITH:



Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.
Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy.
Sundays in my City

Seasons
Monday Walks
Monday Morning Blog Club
Through My Lens Monday
Our World Tuesday
Wanderful Wednesday #wanderfulwednesday

16 comments:

  1. I was worried about you -- you're so often out and about. I was relieved to hear back from you that all was okay. Very scary.

    I love the tall brick guy! Those pancakes look awesome . . . and that ICE CREAM! Yummmmmm. The gardens/greenhouse looks beautiful. So welcome after the dreary weather. And thanks for the thoughts on the Diane Arbus biography; I'll skip that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The terrorist attack was so terrible! I’m glad you weren’t anywhere nearby. The reality that we (in the modern world) have to live with is getting more and more unbearable. The monster who did this had such an inhuman motivation, it’s tempting to give in to despair.

    I hope next week is better!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly evil exists everywhere. Toronto has not called this a terrorist attack, but the work of a very disturbed person with mental issues. But it was still terrifying.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos (as usual!) I especially enjoyed seeing the ones taken at Allan Gardens. A lovely welcome to springtime.
    My Saturday Snapshots post is here: https://sandranachlinger.blogspot.com/2018/04/cougar-mountain-coal-creek-falls.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. As awful as this week's events were, they also showed the city at its best, in terms of how people responded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $400 for flip flops, my gosh! I'm glad I can't afford them.:-) Cheers to Toronto!
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a tragic event, Jackie. Another one! Thank goodness you weren't out and about. Thanks for the lovely food and for staying so cheerful. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toronto is still beautiful, Jackie, and that is why perpetrators with hate calculate such vile acts- where it will get the most news:( Was not worried about you, because when you travel so much, also outside your own country, you develop a sense of when and where to stay away!
    Yeah I used to buy flipflops (that's how we call them here) in department stores - not anymore! The landscaping in Allan Gardens is gorgeous!Thanking you for all the big-city experiences for All Seasons (and personally, when I get home sick for city activities). Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australians call flip flops "thongs" which always cracks me up.

      Delete
  8. You have so many great places to eat in Toronto, love the food pics. Also like the flowers at Allan Gardens.
    Terrible news with so many people dying from that attack. What a horrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is a type of food you couldn't find in Toronto.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I love the books! And my best friend would love them, too.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic week. Now I am totally hungry! We love that movie. My girls have watched it like 6 times.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.