Friday, August 16, 2013

BOTTLE TREE FARM



On a trip to Palm Springs in 2008 we took a drive along a section of Route 66. I have a fascination with Route 66 and we have driven a large portion of it through most states.We had bought the book EZ66 Guide for Travelers in Rialto CA (home to a Wigwam Motel - will post about that another time) and were following its directions for this strip of the route.

 It led us to the Bottle Tree Farm near Oro Grande and it is a wonderful example of roadside art.
Elmer Long retired and decided to build a bottle tree ranch on Route 66. Taking up welding after his retirement, Elmer started his project with his father's bottle collection and it has grown and grown from there.


8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a good little recycler he is. I don't particularly want one of those trees in my yard, but I bet it was a fun and different place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome and this is not a word I use in my day to day vocabulary. I really do enjoy modern art, and recycled art even more so. I just wish I was there to absorb the colours of the bottles. Thank you so much for sharing. I'd love to have a small one in my garden, but I just don't have the space, not even for a small one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took so many pictures at the bottle farm! This is just a sample.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an enormous number of bottles! They are quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's extraordinary when people get so into what is actually a rather odd activity. I can see why you were so interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am facinated by road side art. Cool photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jealous! I've always wanted to drive Route 66...sigh! Maybe someday! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.