Friday, September 12, 2014

Sepia Saturday


Sepia Saturday

Today's theme is:
Drinking, sharing, posing, lurking

December 1961 - Montreal QC

I can tell that this is our house, probably on Carleton Ave. as I recognize the cookie jar. I saw one of these a few years ago at a flea market and so wish I had bought it.



Anyway, I digress... the topic is posing...and I am sure some drinking was involved as well.

This is my Uncle Brendan, my Mom's sister's husband. I'm not sure what the fascination was with my parents' family and friends, but there was always someone dressing up.
I believe the coat was my grandmother's but no idea where the wig came from.



Here he is in Montreal posing in 1958. I am pretty sure that this is their first apartment in Canada and it was on Durocher St. Look at that fancy washing machine!!


15 comments:

  1. In my teens I babysat for a family that had a cookie jar just like that one. The mom used to keep it filled with "Mother's Cookies" coconut bars most of the time. These were the same people who had a clothes dryer that played "How dry I am." when the load was through. They forgot to tell me this the first time I babysat & all of a sudden I heard this music coming from the back enclosed porch??? It was kind of eerie till I went to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird a music player dryer!! That would have freaked me out as well!

      Delete
  2. I especially liked seeing the vintage kitchen and appliances, because I am collecting postcards of those. I am also reading a book for the library called "The American Kitchen--1700 to the Present."

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA -- if that first photo were dated "Oct 61," it would make perfect sense. As it is, it doesn't even pass for anything Christmassy. What a hoot! In the second, he has a bit of a Jimmy Stewart quality (which was certainly lost under that wig and lipstick in the first picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a guy with a sense of humor! Just look a those appliances too! Fine old photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Isn't it funny how your eye catches things in photos like the cookie jar. I hope you catch it next time you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Handsome dude! great sense of fun too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posing with a fridge and washing machine is certainly something no one would think of doing these days, but that is a very nice shot..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two great poses from the same young man - I think he was proud to show off the modern conveniences he had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if the photo was taken to send back home to Ireland to show off their appliances.

      Delete
  9. That’s a man who is proud of his appliances! It’s wonderful to see the old washing machine with ’mangle’. I remember seeing my mother use one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Little Nell! Aren't we all pleased that washing machines have moved on since then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos that made me laugh! Goofy costumes are in every family album but photos of appliance pride are rare.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to turn the handle on our mangle when I was you but there was no camera to pose for.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.