Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Recipe Box - Mushy Peas



Traditional British Mushy Peas

Prep Time: 5 min Inactive Prep Time: 8 hr 0 min Cook Time: 40 min Level: Easy Serves: 6 servings


Mushy peas are the traditional accompaniment to authentic British fish and chips. In the UK they would be traditionally made using marrowfat peas, but this version uses much more readily available dried split green peas. 

Ingredients
2 cups dried split green peas
1 tablespoon baking soda
Salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Fish and chips, for serving
Directions

Put the split green peas in a large pot with the baking soda and enough water to cover the peas four times over. Cover and allow to rehydrate in the fridge overnight.

Drain the peas in a colander and rinse with cold water to remove any lingering baking soda.

Return the peas to the pan and cover with cold water by 1/2-inch. Add some salt, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. During the simmering, discard any pea foam that forms on top using a slotted spoon. The peas are done cooking once they just lose their bite, 30 to 40 minutes. Overcooking results in soup, which isn't what we're going for.

Remove from the heat, add the butter and stir to fully incorporate. Taste and add more salt if required.

Serve immediately with fish and chips, or cool and store for up to 3 days.


5 comments:

  1. Memories of childhood. Fish, chips and mushy peas drowning in vinegar and smothered with salt. Eaten with fingers from their newspaper wrapping. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try mushy peas! I love split pea soup. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not from the UK. But, I've lived in England for 5 years, and I have mixed feelings about the mushy peas. However, I will give this a go, maybe with some mint? I do love split pea soup, so not sure why I'm ambivalent to mushy peas.

    Maybe it is the tinned mushy peas that I don't like as much? I had some in a gastro-pub and they were made in house with mint and I quite liked them. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's the baking soda that puts people off with mushy peas, as it you don't rinse it off properly it does taste funny,

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss mushy peas! Thank you for posting this, bookmarking for a rainy day:)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.