Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



 
It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. For this meme, bloggers post what they finished last week, what they're currently reading, and what they plan to start this week.
My comments are not meant to be recaps of the story lines as I include a link to Goodreads for their synopsis of the book. I am merely stating how I felt about the book without giving any spoilers.


FINISHED THIS WEEK:

Wife 22

I loved it. The story unfolds in a series of Facebook and Twitter updates, text messages, e-mails, Google searches, and even playwriting scenes. What's not to love? Also as a wife of more years than I care to state, I had many little chuckles and smiles as some of the scenes made me laugh out loud.
My only complaint...the ending was easily figured out and a little too trite.

The Book of Virtue (MysteriousPress.com Bibliomystery)

When I downloaded from the library I didn't expect to get one short story and not a very good one at that.

Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris

Death in the City of Light is the gripping, true story of a brutal serial killer who unleashed his own reign of terror in Nazi-Occupied Paris. As decapitated heads and dismembered body parts surfaced in the Seine, Commissaire Georges-Victor Massu, head of the Brigade Criminelle, was tasked with tracking down the elusive murderer in a twilight world of Gestapo, gangsters, resistance fighters, pimps, prostitutes, spies, and other shadowy figures of the Parisian underworld.   

The main suspect was Dr. Marcel Petiot, a handsome, charming physician with remarkable charisma.  He was the “People’s Doctor,” known for his many acts of kindness and generosity, not least in providing free medical care for the poor.  Petiot, however, would soon be charged with twenty-seven murders, though authorities suspected the total was considerably higher, perhaps even as many as 150.

Who was being slaughtered, and why?  Was Petiot a sexual sadist, as the press suggested, killing for thrills?  Was he allied with the Gestapo, or, on the contrary, the French Resistance?  Or did he work for no one other than himself?  Trying to solve the many mysteries of the case, Massu would unravel a plot of unspeakable deviousness.  
When Petiot was finally arrested, the French police hoped for answers. 

But the trial soon became a circus.  Attempting to try all twenty-seven cases at once, the prosecution stumbled in its marathon cross-examinations, and Petiot, enjoying the spotlight, responded with astonishing ease.  His attorney, René Floriot, a rising star in the world of criminal defense, also effectively, if aggressively, countered the charges.  Soon, despite a team of prosecuting attorneys, dozens of witnesses, and over one ton of evidence, Petiot’s brilliance and wit threatened to win the day.

I was disappointed as it read as a very dry history lesson. This book presents a very detailed look at a part of history that took a back seat to the World War raging through out the 1940's.  But I was looking for some characters that would speak to me, make me feel and I didn't get any of that.

STARTED THIS WEEK:
Sharp Objects

WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.






5 comments:

  1. I love the cover for Sharp Objects, and it sounds like one I might like too. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death in the City of Light sounds like it's a good premise. Too bad it didn't carry through on the promise. Thanks for playing along with my Dreaming of France meme.
    Have you tried my book yet? I wish you could download it from the library. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following! I am following you back. Btw - all four of my grand parents were from Ireland. I thought it was neat that you were born there. Thanks for your opinions. I'll look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--I was totally grabbed by the cover of "Death in the City of Light." I'm nearly sure I took a picture of that same gargoyle at that same angle when I was at Notre Dame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame that you didn't like Death in the City of Light. I can see why you were attracted to the cover- I'm so desperate to see that view with my own eyes this year, I'd pick up the cover too.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.