Thursday, October 9, 2014

My Recipe Box - Squash and Turkey Bake


Weekend Cooking hosted by www.BethFishReads.com

Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.

October 2014 - Toronto ON

I made this recipe this week and it was absolutely delicious!! Definitely a keeper.
Photo is mine.





Squash and turkey bake 
less than 30 mins preparation time
1 to 2 hours cooking time
Serves 4
By Nigel Slater
From Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers

Nigel Slater swaps traditional shepherd’s pie ingredients for turkey and butternut squash, with delicious results.


Ingredients
a medium-sized butternut squash
a little olive oil
a large onion
a large clove of garlic
15 chestnut mushrooms
3 sprigs thyme
500g/1lb 2oz minced turkey
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a little flour
400ml/14fl oz red wine
a little Worcestershire sauce
a knob of butter
a little orange zest


Preparation method
1. Preheat the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6. Peel, seed and roughly chop the butternut squash. Put the pieces of squash in a steamer basket and place over boiling water. Steam for 20-30 minutes until fully tender. They must be soft enough to mash. 
2. Peel and roughly chop the onion. Peel and finely slice the garlic.
Warm a couple of tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan, then add the onion and garlic and cook until pale gold. Cut the mushrooms into thick slices or quarters and add to the pan with the
leaves from the thyme sprigs. Fry until softened, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Add a further tablespoon of oil to the pan, then, as soon as it starts to sizzle, add the minced turkey. Season generously with salt and pepper and then stir in a couple of heaped tablespoons of flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then pour in the red wine and a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Simmer at a low temperature for 5 minutes
then add the mushrooms and onions. Continue cooking for 5 minutes then tip into a baking dish.
4. Mash the cooked squash with a potato masher then stir in a generous knob of butter and the grated orange zest, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. 
5. Pile the mash on top of the turkey, dot with more of the butter, then bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the mash is lightly browned and slightly crisp on top. 



6 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty, though I can't recall if I've ever eaten squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was excellent. My GW never ceases to amaze and surprise my healthy appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing! I just bought some squash and was wondering about how I wanted to cook it. I really love Slater's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm bound and determined to get my gang on board with squash this fall! Sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I"ve ever used chestnut mushrooms.... Looks good. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh delicious!!!! I want to make this tonight. Love squash and what a fun way to use it!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.