Monday, August 25, 2014

Santa Rosa NM


March 2013 - Santa Rosa NM

Back in Santa Rosa with some motel and restaurant signs.







The I-40 freeway has bisected the town of Santa Rosa (pop. 2,744) and cut its old Route 66 frontage in two, but for over 65 years, travelers crossing New Mexico along Route 66 and I-40 made a point of stopping here for a meal at Club Cafe, “The Original Route 66 Restaurant Since 1935.”


 Thanks to signs lining the road for miles in both directions, emblazoned with the smiling face of the “Fat Man,” the Club Cafe became nationally famous for its always-fresh food. The Club Cafe closed in 1992, but its legacy (and the Fat Man logo) live on at Joseph’s (505/472-1234), at 865 Will Rogers Drive, which has a nifty neon sign and very good food at reasonable prices on old Route 66, a half mile southwest of I-40 exit 275.


























7 comments:

  1. Your Route 66 adventure must have been a blast! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a somewhat faded quality in places like this, and some of the details are very retro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great subject for the meme! Love your photos. I've never been out that way but it's so sad when such an iconic roadway ends up so deserted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great old signs...and I have actually stayed at The Blue Swallow in Tucumcari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great adventure. I'm enjoying this.
    And, for some reason I crave a root beer float?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the old garage with the powder blue VW Bug! Great signs. Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying your trip down Route 66?

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.