Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



 
It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. For this meme, bloggers post what they finished last week, what they're currently reading, and what they plan to start this week.
My comments are not meant to be recaps of the story lines as I include a link to Goodreads for their synopsis of the book. I am merely stating how I felt about the book without giving any spoilers.

FINISHED THIS WEEK:
Sharp Objects

I really enjoyed it, but not as much as Gone Girl. the women are sick and they made me feel slightly dirty with all their nasty little habits and secrets. They're conniving, flawed, manipulative,deeply insecure, fierce and just plain awful.
My only complaint is the ending which the reader figures out quite early into the story.


Waiting for Sunrise
Vienna. 1913. It is a fine day in August when Lysander Rief, a young English actor, walks through the city to his first appointment with the eminent psychiatrist, Dr. Bensimon. Sitting in the waiting room he is anxiously pondering the nature of his problem when an extraordinary woman enters. She is clearly in distress, but Lysander is immediately drawn to her strange, hazel eyes and her unusual, intense beauty.

Later the same day they meet again, and a more composed Hettie Bull introduces herself as an artist and sculptor, and invites Lysander to a party hosted by her lover, the famous painter Udo Hoff. Compelled to attend and unable to resist her electric charm, they begin a passionate love affair. Life in Vienna becomes tinged with the frisson of excitement for Lysander. He meets Sigmund Freud in a café, begins to write a journal, enjoys secret trysts with Hettie and appears to have been cured.

London, 1914. War is stirring, and events in Vienna have caught up with Lysander. Unable to live an ordinary life, he is plunged into the dangerous theatre of wartime intelligence – a world of sex, scandal and spies, where lines of truth and deception blur with every waking day. Lysander must now discover the key to a secret code which is threatening Britain’s safety, and use all his skills to keep the murky world of suspicion and betrayal from invading every corner of his life.

To start with I am not a fan of spy thrillers. That said I found the book to be ponderous and slow.
I did not like Lysander at all. I really couldn't get excited or interested in his little amours.
For a book published in 2012 it certainly had a vintage feel to it. 
I am, however, looking forward to reading Ordinary Thunderstorms.

STARTED THIS WEEK:
Dark Places

I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived—and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her.

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details—proof they hope may free Ben—Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club...and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.

As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the narrative flashes back to January 2, 1985. The events of that day are relayed through the eyes of Libby’s doomed family members—including Ben, a loner whose rage over his shiftless father and their failing farm have driven him into a disturbing friendship with the new girl in town. Piece by piece, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started—on the run from a killer.





6 comments:

  1. I am curious about Dark Places. I haven't read anything by Gillian Flynn. Do you think it would be a good place to start her?

    My Monday Report is here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good week!

    I haven't read anything by Flynn but I've heard good things about Gone Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm listening to Gone Girl on audio now - my first Flynn novel, so glad to see you enjoyed it even more than Sharp Objects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for Sunrise sounds interesting but I'm sorry it was disappointing for you.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard about any of those.

    Last week I finished "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell (excellent!!!) and "Persuasion" by Jane Austen (which I read for the umpteenth time).
    Right now I'm reading "La Traición de Roma" by Santiago Posteguillo. Historical fiction about the life of Scipio (vs Hannibal) in ancient Rome. Fascinating stuff! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just blogs hehehe.. Wish I could go back to reading books again.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.